Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Net Noise <in...@netnoise.com.au> on 2003/11/13 11:42:35 UTC

[users@httpd] installing apache on Windows XP

Re: installing apache_2.0.47-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi  (ie apache server for windows XP)

After making the required changes to the httpd.conf file (ie email address, server name etc) I have attempted to install and start the service by running the following commands.

    bin\Apache -k install
    bin\Apache -k start

This gives the following error.

<OS 10048> Only one usage of each socket address <protocol/network address/port> is normally permitted.  make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down.
Unable to open logs

When the service is started through the start menu option the following error message is given.

[error] <os 2> The system cannot fine the file specified.  :No installed service named "Apache2".

Appreciate any suggestions

Thanks
David

Re: [users@httpd] installing apache on Windows XP

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.
On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 08:25, Net Noise wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions Chris.
>
> I may have IIS running (not sure how to tell if it is or how to stop it)
>
> This problem happened on the first install on my new pc.  I have tried
> uninstalling/reinstalling an older version of apache.  Same result though.
>
> I also tried assigning port 8080 and 8008 with no change.
>
> Any other ideas welcome.
>
> David

David,

use 'netstat -a -o' to see what applications have ports
look for 'http' and the PID can be looked up in the task manager

IIS should be in the list of services if it is installed.

Perhaps you would consider trying one of my builds. It should start with
no modifications to the httpd.conf if you follow these instructions.

Chris.

This is from a previous post...

You can get a set of binaries in zip format from my servers amd as a
bonus you get mod_ssl as well.

http://hunter.campbus.com or http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache

Apache can install itself as a service.

I build the code into c:\apache. If you unzip to here it will minimize
your configuration.

1. create a directory (c:\apache) or if you are upgrading, save your
httpd.conf or it could be overwritten.

2. unzip the binaries into this directory - make certain you created the
sub-dirs.

3. go to the conf directory and edit httpd.conf or replace the
httpd.conf with the one you saved.

4. go to the 'apache' directory in a console.

Type the following commands:

- if you are already installed, type 'apache -k uninstall'
- then type 'apache -k install'
- then type 'apache -k start'

Check the error logs if it fails to start, but some configuration errors
will be displayed in your console. Apache also logs to the event log.

If you detect flaws in the build please email me so that I can fix them
as soon as possible. I don't use these binaries so I need you to tell me
if there is something wrong with them. I build a branded version in my
workplace and use Apache2 on Debian/GNU Linux at home.

Configuration questions should be directed to the list after reading the
documentation and searching the list archives - let everyone benefit
from the answers you get.

Re: [users@httpd] installing apache on Windows XP

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.