Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/06/19 16:23:15 UTC

Netscape-style Access Control (fwd)

Anyone have an ideas on this one?  ... the easier it is for people
to switch from netscape servers to Apache the better.

not acked (yet)

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 13:52:48 -0100
From: Rik Turnbull <R....@csc.liv.ac.uk>
To: apache-bugs@mail.apache.org
Subject: Netscape-style Access Control

Hi, is there any way of implementing Netscape-style Access Control
for individual directories. We currently use per directory .nsconfig
files to restrict access from hostnames and provide authorisation for
pages - I'd like to keep the per directory configuration out of the
server config files, so that our web authors can restrict their own
pages.

In .nsconfig its possible to do pattern matching within the directory.
For example:

<Files *.html>
--access directives--
</Files>

Unfortunately, we seem to have a lot of these files everywhere which
cannot be converted to their equivalent .htaccess files, without
significantly restructuring our web pages.

Am I correct, or is there a way around this, or a module I can
install?

Keep up the good work, I think Apache is an excellent project.

Regards,

Rik Turnbull.
rik@connect.org.uk.

----- End of forwarded message from Rik Turnbull -----

--
Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)

Re: Netscape-style Access Control (fwd)

Posted by "Mark A. Imbriaco" <ma...@itribe.net>.
> > Mark> I wrote something to do most of the work of converting from
> > Mark> Netsite to Apache a while back.  It would probably only take a
> > Mark> couple of hours to whip something up to do the actual
> > Mark> conversion. [perl rules. :-)] The problem is going to some in
> > Mark> with the new line of Netsite servers that I'm not terribly
> > Mark> familiar with. [ enterprise, fast track, etc.. ]
> >
> > I'm very interested in this.  Can you release it?
> >
> > Tom
> >
>      Well, in it's current state, it's in no condition to be
>      released .. it still requires a lot of work to get the files
>      into a format that Apache will be happy with.  I'll play
>      with it for a little while today, and send an update at the
>      end of the day to the list..

	Okay, here's that update that I promised.  The script is coming
	along nicely, and I expect to have something that is at least
	useable and helpful by the first part of tomorrow.  At this
	point, the script gets all of the information from Netsite's
	magnus.conf, and most of the information out of the obj.conf.
	As soon as I get finished writing the routines to get the
	access control information out of the obj.conf file, the
	script should be ready to go.  I'm sure it'll change once
	other people start using it, since it's hard to prepare for
	the 'generic' case when I only have a small sampling of the
	configuration file directives, and I doubt that Netscrape
	would send me documentation on them to aid in converting
	people to Apache.  Call it a hunch. :-)

	At any rate, I'll post my source to the list for comments some time
	tomorrow..

 Mark Imbriaco		       email: <ma...@itribe.net>
 iTribe, Inc.                    url: http://www.itribe.net/~mark/
 Director of Engineering    pgp/geek: http://www.itribe.net/~mark/codes.html

 W e b  W o n d e r s  .  O n l i n e  O d d i t i e s  .  C o o l  S t u f f

Re: Netscape-style Access Control (fwd)

Posted by "Mark A. Imbriaco" <ma...@itribe.net>.
> Mark> I wrote something to do most of the work of converting from
> Mark> Netsite to Apache a while back.  It would probably only take a
> Mark> couple of hours to whip something up to do the actual
> Mark> conversion. [perl rules. :-)] The problem is going to some in
> Mark> with the new line of Netsite servers that I'm not terribly
> Mark> familiar with. [ enterprise, fast track, etc.. ]
>
> I'm very interested in this.  Can you release it?
>
> Tom

	Well, in it's current state, it's in no condition to be
	released .. it still requires a lot of work to get the files
	into a format that Apache will be happy with.  I'll play
	with it for a little while today, and send an update at the
	end of the day to the list..

	-Mark

Re: Netscape-style Access Control (fwd)

Posted by Tom Tromey <tr...@creche.cygnus.com>.

tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom

Re: Netscape-style Access Control (fwd)

Posted by "Mark A. Imbriaco" <ma...@itribe.net>.
> Another part of the question is, how hard would it be to hack up a variant
> of our existing modules which understand Netscape config files?  :)
> Perhaps just a perl script would do?

	From my own experiences, I know that this one isn't too terribly
	difficult.  I wrote something to do most of the work of converting
	from Netsite to Apache a while back.  It would probably only
	take a couple of hours to whip something up to do the actual
	conversion. [perl rules. :-)]  The problem is going to some
	in with the new line of Netsite servers that I'm not terribly
	familiar with. [ enterprise, fast track, etc.. ]

	-mark

Re: Netscape-style Access Control (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
> On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
>
> > Anyone have an ideas on this one?  ... the easier it is for people
> > to switch from netscape servers to Apache the better.
>
> It's the same thing that that other guy wanted, the ability to control
> individual files (and patterns of files) from .htaccess files. <Files> is
> a good a way to do it as any.
>
> > not acked (yet)
>
> Tell him that 1.1 doesn't have a way to do it from .htaccess files (though
> you can use <Location> in access.conf), but we plan to implement something
> of the sort in the next major release. (since we are)

Another part of the question is, how hard would it be to hack up a variant
of our existing modules which understand Netscape config files?  :)
Perhaps just a perl script would do?

	Brian

Re: Netscape-style Access Control (fwd)

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>.