Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Williams <KW...@centerlogic.com> on 2005/02/02 05:25:30 UTC

tomcat CPU utilization pegged...total CPU only 50%

Hello,

I am trying to performance test an application running Tomcat with
Apache w/SSL (connected using mod_proxy).  The OS is Windows Server
2003.

The test I am running is simulating a user logging into the application
(using JMeter for the testing framework).  Increasing the number of
users from 1, 2, 3, 4,5 the total CPU utilization jumps considerably.
After 5 users the CPU utilization hits 50% for a second and then
drops...When simulating 10 users, the CPU hits50% for a few seconds and
drops back down, the more users, the longer the CPU is pegged at 50%.
My question is why is tomcat only using 50% of the CPU?  Seeing the CPU
grow significantly with each user, and then peg out for longer periods
of time with an increased user load indicates that the CPU is the choke
point.  Using performance monitor, the Tomcat % Processor Time pegs out
at 100% for the duration that total CPU utilization is at 50%.  Is there
a configuration option that I am unaware of to allow tomcat to use more
CPU?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Re: tomcat CPU utilization pegged...total CPU only 50%

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
You could be DB bound or LAN bound.
What is the switch telling you LAN utilization is?
What is the DB stress test telling you?
.V

--
Forums, Boards, Blogs and News in RiA <http://www.boardVU.com>

Re: tomcat CPU utilization pegged...total CPU only 50%

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Is this on a dual processor machine?

What version of Tomcat and JVM?

Doug