Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Alan Carroll <so...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID> on 2021/03/20 02:19:29 UTC

Re: [E] RE: Help with plugin loading in ATS 7.1.x vs ATS 9.0.x.

Yes, sorry, I'm OOO this week. You can disable it in "records.config" but
there is also now a plugin API call to disable it for a specific plugin
which is a safer approach. I don't recall offhand, but it should be in the
ATS 10 docs, and I think it's been backported to our ATS 9. There's an
example in TxnBox if you want to check that source (in
plugin/src/txn_box.cc).

Posted by Alan Carroll <so...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
The difference is that for ATS 9, the ability to reload the DSO for remap
plugin causes the remap DSO to have different static data than the global
DSO even though they are loaded from the same DSO on disk. This is, shall
we say, somewhat unexpected.

As another note, the global plugin argument support was added as another
work around for this problem. The static data can be rooted in an singleton
(e.g., all static data can be found via pointer chains from this root) and
then the address of that root put in the global plugin argument.

This still leaves the fun of (relative) asynchronous reloading of global
and plugin configurations, but we don't want to take away all of your ATS
coding thrills.

Re: [E] RE: Help with plugin loading in ATS 7.1.x vs ATS 9.0.x.

Posted by Walt Karas <wk...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
If I remember correctly, I don't think, in ATS9, you can load the same
plugin in both plugin.config and remap.config.  But I'm not sure that's a
new restriction in 9 versus 7.