Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2015/10/25 14:34:16 UTC

Java 8 + Jersey updates

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9613 covers the issue of updating Jersey to 3.0 to cope with the move to Java 8

1. this is trunk
2. it's "significant"

we've been frozen on an old version of Jersey with issues, known ones needing separate threads to detect jersey startup failures, and putting off the Update-Jersey issue for 2- years.

For Java 8 there's no choice but to move on.

thoughts and comments on the JIRA please. I'll try to rebuild a YARN app (slider) with the patch to see how it fares

Re: Java 8 + Jersey updates

Posted by Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 11:16 PM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>> On 29 Oct 2015, at 15:40, Tsuyoshi Ozawa <oz...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Steve,
>>
>>> If you exclude jax-rs 2 and try to stay @ jersey 1.9 for your client, all the http clients: KMS, webhdfs, ATS, aren't going to link.
>>
>> I thought we can use Jersey 1.19 on JDK 8 with client-side
>> compatibility, but do you mean that we cannot use Jersey 1.19 on JDK
>> 8? Please correct me if I've misunderstood.
>>

> jersey 1.19 works on JDK8. What I'm worried about is having two versions of jersey on the classpath -as the patch you've put up rewrites all the client-side code to move to jersey 2

A latest patch I updated(HADOOP-9613.007.incompatible.patch) uses
Jersey 1.19. All rewrites at client-side code I updated is to avoid
using deprecated method, ClientResponse.getClientResponseStatus(). In
fact, we can still use the method though it's marked as deprecated
since 1.18.

https://jersey.java.net/nonav/apidocs/1.19/jersey/com/sun/jersey/api/client/ClientResponse.html
https://jersey.java.net/nonav/apidocs/1.19/jersey/com/sun/jersey/api/client/ClientResponse.html#getClientResponseStatus()

Maybe the latest patch confuses you with non-essential change. I'm
sorry for that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best,
- Tsuyoshi

Re: Java 8 + Jersey updates

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.