Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Christian Carlow <ch...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/19 03:37:56 UTC

How should new committers handle backporting?

Should committers download the entire ofbiz repository to help with
backporting?  Is there a standard procedure new committers should follow
for backporting?  I was going to test my new committer privilege by
applying my OFBIZ-6387.patch.  Should I apply it to the release branches
also?

Re: How should new committers handle backporting?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 19/05/2015 07:22, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> Hi Christian,
>
> On May 19, 2015, at 3:37 AM, Christian Carlow <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Should committers download the entire ofbiz repository to help with
>> backporting?
> it is easier if you keep the trunk and the release branches in different svn folders (i.e. different checkouts); for example:
>
> mkdir ofbiz
> cd ofbiz
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk trunk
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release14.12 release14.12
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release13.07 release13.07
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release12.04 release12.04
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/site/ website
>
> you will end up with the following folder layout:
> ofbiz/
> ofbiz/trunk
> ofbiz/release14.12
> ofbiz/release13.07
> ofbiz/release12.04
> ofbiz/website
>
> Then you can setup, with your favorite IDE, one project for each.
>
>> Is there a standard procedure new committers should follow
>> for backporting?
> Only bugs should be backported to active release branches (if they happen also there); it is not mandatory that you do but it is very much appreciated!
> Here is a simple workflow to backport a commit to a branch.
> 1) commit the fix to trunk and note down the commit id; e.g. rev 12345
> 2) go to the release branch you want to backport to; e.g. cd ofbiz/release14.12
> 3) run the following script (the script will apply the commit to your local release branch):
> ./tools/mergefromtrunk.sh/bat merge 12345
> 4) run the tests with:
> ./tools/mergefromtrunk.sh/bat test
> 5) it is also a good idea to start the instance and test manually
> 6.a) if tests are unsuccessful, abort the process and clean your local release branch:
> ./tools/mergefromtrunk.sh/bat abort
> 6.b) if tests are successful, and you want to commit the backport:
> ./tools/mergefromtrunk.sh/bat commit
>
>>   I was going to test my new committer privilege by
>> applying my OFBIZ-6387.patch.  Should I apply it to the release branches
>> also?
> That is probably not a bug but it is a small change and could be a good chance to practice with the above process, so please do if you like.

Note that in a very simple case like this which has only an impact on the UI I don't run the tests. They would not help as we have no UI tests
(Selenium and alike)

Jacques

Posted by Gil portenseigne <gi...@nereide.fr>.
+1,

I didn't know about the scripts, very interesting, its a good place to
have these info stored and shared.

Gil

On 19/05/2015 15:38, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> Maybe we should add it at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities
> ?
>
> Jacques
>
> Le 19/05/2015 14:19, Pranay Pandey a écrit :
>> Thanks Jacopo, its a good OFBiz Committers Guide.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pranay Pandey
>> HotWax Systems
>> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/
>> skype: pranay.pandey
>> cell: +91 982.603.5576
>>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <
>> jacopo.cappellato@hotwaxsystems.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Christian,
>>>
>>> On May 19, 2015, at 3:37 AM, Christian Carlow
>>> <ch...@gmail.com>

>>> it is easier if you keep the trunk and the release branches in
>>> different
>>> svn folders (i.e. different checkouts); for example:
>>>
>>> mkdir ofbiz
>>> cd ofbiz
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk trunk
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release14.12
>>> release14.12
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release13.07
>>> release13.07
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release12.04
>>> release12.04
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/site/ website
>>>
>>> you will end up with the following folder layout:
>>> ofbiz/
>>> ofbiz/trunk
>>> ofbiz/release14.12
>>> ofbiz/release13.07
>>> ofbiz/release12.04

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Yes, that's right. I'll handle the update on the Wiki, place it on the
committers page you suggested and see if I can place a link on the other
page when it fits.

Michael

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
+1, very helpful, just trying it out.

Maybe
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices
would be a better place, or we would add a link to one of the pages.

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 19.05.15 um 15:38 schrieb Jacques Le Roux:
> Maybe we should add it at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Committers+Roles+and+Responsibilities
> ?
>
> Jacques
>
> Le 19/05/2015 14:19, Pranay Pandey a écrit :
>> Thanks Jacopo, its a good OFBiz Committers Guide.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pranay Pandey
>> HotWax Systems
>> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/
>> skype: pranay.pandey
>> cell: +91 982.603.5576
>>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <
>> jacopo.cappellato@hotwaxsystems.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Christian,
>>>
>>> On May 19, 2015, at 3:37 AM, Christian Carlow
>>> <ch...@gmail.com>

>>> it is easier if you keep the trunk and the release branches in
>>> different
>>> svn folders (i.e. different checkouts); for example:
>>>
>>> mkdir ofbiz
>>> cd ofbiz
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/trunk trunk
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release14.12
>>> release14.12
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release13.07
>>> release13.07
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/branches/release12.04
>>> release12.04
>>> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/site/ website
>>>
>>> you will end up with the following folder layout:
>>> ofbiz/
>>> ofbiz/trunk
>>> ofbiz/release14.12
>>> ofbiz/release13.07
>>> ofbiz/release12.04

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pr...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Christian,

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Christian,

IMO we should back port the bug fixes to the release branches ..at least last two release branches.

Thanks & Regards
—
Deepak Dixit

Posted by Christian Carlow <ch...@gmail.com>.