Posted to dev@sqoop.apache.org by Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/10/03 21:53:25 UTC

Re: Process to contribute back to Sqoop

Hi Rakesh

Sqoop is an Apache Open source project.   So, it is community driven.
 The community is made up of users, contributors, committers  etc.   There
is also project management committee.

Here are some pointers/answers to your questions.   Other community
members, please chime in to edit/correct/add to this as needed.

1.       Can developer create and branch with Sqoop and start its
development directly?

If you are asking about creating a branch in the main project codebase,
then it needs to be a community guided effort.   You can work on your
private branch.  I think creating project branches require commit
privileges.   May be others can chime in.

2.       Who decide the timelines of the features delivery ?

We discuss in the community mailing lists.   Not sure about time lines.   A
feature gets discussed reviewed and integrated with the community's
participation.

3.       What is expected release date of Sqoop 1.4.6?

Typically we have 4-6 month release cadence.   Primarily driven by features
and bugs fixed.   Release details are discussed in the mailing lists.

4.       Who decides the feature priorities?
Community.   Please communicate the features and we will discuss.  We
always welcome more community participatio

5.       In case feature priorities are decided by product owner, can we
negotiate with PM on feature priorities?
Owned by the community.   But any feature priorities can be discussed in
the mailing lists.

6.       Once development work will be completed then who will do the code
review?

Every feature/patch is reviewed by the community using review boards.

7.       Who will create the documentation?
Feature developers  write the documentation also

Thanks

Venkat

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Rakesh Sharma <ra...@expedia.com>
wrote:

>  Hi Venkat,
>
>  Thanks for your quick response. We did some testing on this and found
> some limitations with these features.We will investigate further with your
> suggestions.
>
>  But what we are looking for here is answers to process about how to
> contribute back to community. It will be great if you could help us with
> following questions  :
>
>  1.       Can developer create and branch with Sqoop and start its
> development directly?
> 2.       Who decide the timelines of the features delivery ?
> 3.       What is expected release date of Sqoop 1.4.6?
> 4.       Who decides the feature priorities?
> 5.       In case feature priorities are decided by product owner, can we
> negotiate with PM on feature priorities?
> 6.       Once development work will be completed then who will do the code
> review?
> 7.       Who will create the documentation?
>
>  Thanks and Regards,
> Rakesh.
>

>   From: Rakesh Sharma <ra...@expedia.com>
> Date: Saturday, October 4, 2014 at 12:31 AM
> To: Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>, "
> dev@sqoop.apache.org" <de...@sqoop.apache.org>, Atul Gupta <
> atugupta@expedia.com>
> Cc: Shashank Tandon <st...@expedia.com>
> Subject: Re: Sqoop
>
>   ++Atul
>
>   From: Venkat Ranganathan <vr...@hortonworks.com>
> Date: Friday, October 3, 2014 at 11:55 PM
> To: "dev@sqoop.apache.org" <de...@sqoop.apache.org>
> Cc: Rakesh Sharma <ra...@expedia.com>, Shashank Tandon <
> standon@expedia.com>
> Subject: Re: Sqoop
>
>   Atul Gupta
>
>  Please see below
>

> >> Sqoop currently doesn't support dynamic partitions. We are planning to
> support dynamic partitions. Basically, user can specify the partition
> column and sqoop will figure out the partition details and create
> partitions if they don't exist.
>
> Dynamic partition has been part of Sqoop for a while as part of hcatalog
> support.
>
> >>.  Sqoop only supports Partitions String fields. We are planning to
> extend it to some other data types like integer, Date etc.
> Even with hcatalog integration (and the enhancements to this integration
> we did to support all hive types), this is an outstanding issue.   Being
> fixed in hcatalog also
>
> >>  5.  Sqoop doesn't support external table for hive. We are planning to
> add this feature as well
>
> This is also addressed by the hcatalog integration
>
>  Venkat
>
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Atul Gupta <at...@expedia.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Let me give you some background of the project first, Currently we are
>> using in-house tool for moving the data from RDBMS to HDFS and based on our
>> business requirements we added lots of new features in that tool. The
> [...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE