Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2015/06/25 18:17:43 UTC

Moving to servlet 3 as the base?

Hi,

right now, Sling in theory runs on servet 2.4 and we have to do some
ugly tricks to support 2.4/2.5 and 3.x.
I think 3.0 is now out long enough that we could "upgrade" and require
3.0 as the base and get rid of all the special handling.

WDYT?

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: Moving to servlet 3 as the base?

Posted by Antonio Sanso <as...@adobe.com>.
+1

regards

antonio

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 9:48 AM, Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I imagine there might he people running on older versions of these
> application servers but 2011-2012 looks recent enough for me to
> require it in Sling....

Definitely, thanks for researching this and +1 to the move.

-Bertrand

Re: Moving to servlet 3 as the base?

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...I think 3.0 is now out long enough that we could "upgrade" and require
>> 3.0 as the base and get rid of all the special handling...
>
> Would that work for people running Sling on enterprise application
> servers, as opposed to using the embedded Jetty server?
>
> I'm (luckily) not familiar with those environments but I suppose they
> might be slower to provide the latest stuff that more lightweight
> environments.

For the record, here are the oldest versions of some application
servers that support Servlet 3.0:

- WebSphere Application Server 8.0 ( Jun 2011 )
- WebLogic Server 12c ( Dec 2011 )
- Tomcat 7 ( Jan 2011 )
- Jetty 8 ( September 2011 )
- JBoss EAP 6 ( June 2012 )

I imagine there might he people running on older versions of these
application servers but 2011-2012 looks recent enough for me to
require it in Sling.

+1 for moving to Servlet 3.0

Robert

Re: Moving to servlet 3 as the base?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sandro Boehme <sa...@gmx.de>.
Am 25.06.15 um 18:17 schrieb Carsten Ziegeler:
> Hi,
>
> right now, Sling in theory runs on servet 2.4 and we have to do some
> ugly tricks to support 2.4/2.5 and 3.x.
> I think 3.0 is now out long enough that we could "upgrade" and require
> 3.0 as the base and get rid of all the special handling.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Carsten

+1
It would be useful for the Resource Editor.

Best,
Sandro