Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/16 01:35:09 UTC

mod_auth_db

Somebody please remind me what the plan is with mod_auth_db... will the
apr-util dbm stuff make it obsolete (ie, all you need is mod_auth_dbm)?
If so, to what extent are those changes included in 2.0.28?

Thanks,
--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: mod_auth_db

Posted by sterling <st...@covalent.net>.
On 16 Nov 2001, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> But you lose the run-time selection of the db flavor that having both
> modules gives you...  As I understand it, in order to lose function,
> apr-util needs to allow db type to be specified to apr_dbm_open(),
> mod_auth_dbm needs way to find what the type should be (config
> directive?  tell apr_dbm_open() to autodetect?), then mod_auth_db
> becomes truly redundant.
>
> (expecting sanity checking of this :) )

Good Point -

OtherBill had mentioned there might be a patch to build *all* possible dbs
into apr, then let you specify at run time (connect time) which type you wish to connect
to - this way you could solve this problem (though requires an api
change/addition).

sterling

Re: mod_auth_db

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
sterling <st...@covalent.net> writes:

> Hi -
>
> Right now you can compile mod_auth_dbm with AP_AUTH_DBM_USE_APR and it
> will use whatever dbm you've configured apr for.  It #defines dbm_open et.
> al. to apr_dbm_open, which is kind of lame.  It should probably be
> rewritten to simply just use apr_dbm for everything...
>
> If my understanding is correct, mod_auth_db was there to allow you
> to force berkeley db on platforms where it is not the default dbm..
> If thats the case, it should now be obsolete since you can compile
> mod_auth_dbm against whatever apr dbm backend you choose.

But you lose the run-time selection of the db flavor that having both
modules gives you...  As I understand it, in order to lose function,
apr-util needs to allow db type to be specified to apr_dbm_open(),
mod_auth_dbm needs way to find what the type should be (config
directive?  tell apr_dbm_open() to autodetect?), then mod_auth_db
becomes truly redundant.

(expecting sanity checking of this :) )

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: mod_auth_db