Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/28 12:18:20 UTC

Bandwidth Shaping - Ubuntu 12.04.3 KVM

Hi Guys,

Following my upgrade from 4.1.1 -> 4.2.0, I have noticed that VM traffic is
now limited to 2Mbits.
My compute offerings were already 1000 for network limit and I have created
new offerings to ensure this wasn't the issue (this fixed it for someone in
the mailing list).

Is there anything that I am missing? I can't remember reading this as a bug
fix or new feature.
If there is a way to resolve or disable it, it would be most appreciated -
have been going round in circles for hours.

Thanks,
Marty

Re: Bandwidth Shaping - Ubuntu 12.04.3 KVM

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
To add to my last reply, I have just created the following compute
examples, tests all run with the VM launch on the same Hypervisor:

=== Offering with 50Mbps ===
 <target dev='vnet2'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <bandwidth>
        <inbound average='6400' peak='6400'/>
        <outbound average='6400' peak='6400'/>
      </bandwidth>

# tc class show  dev vnet2
class htb 1:1 root prio 0 rate 51200Kbit ceil 51200Kbit burst 1593b cburst
1593b

Phy -> VM =  53Mbits/sec
VM -> Phy = 1.92Mbits/sec
=== Offering with 100Mbps ===
<target dev='vnet2'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <bandwidth>
        <inbound average='12800' peak='12800'/>
        <outbound average='12800' peak='12800'/>
      </bandwidth>

# tc class show  dev vnet2
class htb 1:1 root prio 0 rate 102400Kbit ceil 102400Kbit burst 1587b
cburst 1587b

Phy -> VM = 101Mbits/sec
VM -> Phy = 2.04Mbits/sec
=== Offering with 500Mbps ===
<target dev='vnet2'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <bandwidth>
        <inbound average='64000' peak='64000'/>
        <outbound average='64000' peak='64000'/>
      </bandwidth>

# tc class show  dev vnet2
class htb 1:1 root prio 0 rate 512000Kbit ceil 512000Kbit burst 1536b
cburst 1536b

Phy -> VM = 8.24Mbits/sec
VM -> Phy = 2.60Mbits/sec
=== Offering with 1000Mbps ===
<target dev='vnet2'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <bandwidth>
        <inbound average='128000' peak='128000'/>
        <outbound average='128000' peak='128000'/>
      </bandwidth>

# tc class show  dev vnet2
class htb 1:1 root prio 0 rate 1024Mbit ceil 1024Mbit burst 1408b cburst
1408b

Phy -> VM = 8.88Mbits/sec
VM -> Phy = 2.39Mbits/sec
=== Offering with 0Mbps === (In the Network Rate Field)
<source bridge='brbond0-152'/>
      <target dev='vnet2'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>

# tc class show  dev vnet2
(No Output)

Phy -> VM = 280Mbits/sec
VM -> Phy = 693Mbits/sec

It appears <=100Mbps, the Inbound shaping works as expected, beyond that it
has somewhat interesting results.
Setting 0Mbps has had varied results, Phy-> another VM (on the same
Hypervisor) only gets 57Mbits/sec-160Mbits/sec, with ~799Mbits/sec outbound
from the VM.

Thanks,
Marty

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcus,

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help on this. It appears upgrading VM kernels to 3.5 fixed
the Inbound traffic issue.
Drivers for e1000 on Windows are (apparently) provided by Microsoft but are
the latest version. I have a feeling this issue was brought in a few KVM
releases ago.

Hope this helps anyone else who has noticed these anomalies,
Marty

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić
--------------------------------------

Re: Bandwidth Shaping - Ubuntu 12.04.3 KVM

Posted by Jijun <ji...@gmail.com>.
> Hi Lucian,
>
> For now I have disabled it by setting the compute offerings to bandwidth
> limit to 0. This removes the bandwidth section from KVM XML.
>
> When my compute offering is set to 1000, the following XML is created (via
> virsh dumpxml i-2-xx-VM)
> <bandwidth>
>          <inbound average='128000' peak='128000'/>
>          <outbound average='128000' peak='128000'/>
> </bandwidth>
>
> This seems to give the bandwidth of around 2.5Mbit/s (using iperf to check
> against a physical server).
as describe it here:

http://libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html

the unit of inbound and outbound is kilobytes per second,

128000 KB/s divide 1024 = 125MB/s
and the compute offering is 1000 Mb/s
1000Mb/s divide 8 = 125MB/s

so  i think the value 128000  is right .

> Setting the compute offering to something else (I can't remember sorry!) it
> gave:
> <bandwidth>
>          <inbound average='640000' peak='640000'/>
>          <outbound average='640000' peak='640000'/>
> </bandwidth>
> But it gave a bandwidth of 1.32Mbit/s
>

> This is a tad odd, surely a higher value should result in more bandwidth
> being allowed through?
>
> Thanks,
> Marty
>

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
>
>> On 28.10.2013 11:18, Marty Sweet wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Following my upgrade from 4.1.1 -> 4.2.0, I have noticed that VM traffic
>>> is
>>> now limited to 2Mbits.
>>> My compute offerings were already 1000 for network limit and I have
>>> created
>>> new offerings to ensure this wasn't the issue (this fixed it for someone
>>> in
>>> the mailing list).
>>>
>>> Is there anything that I am missing? I can't remember reading this as a
>>> bug
>>> fix or new feature.
>>> If there is a way to resolve or disable it, it would be most appreciated -
>>> have been going round in circles for hours.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Marty
>>>
>> Hi Marty,
>>
>> I think on Linux "tc" is the tool used to limit traffic. Have a look at
>> this for a crashcourse and see if it helps you find the culprit:
>> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/**linux-traffic-shaping-using-**
>> tc-to-control-http-traffic/<http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-traffic-shaping-using-tc-to-control-http-traffic/>
>>
>> HTH
>> Lucian
>>
>> --
>>
>> Nux!
>> www.nux.ro

Jijun

Re: Bandwidth Shaping - Ubuntu 12.04.3 KVM

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lucian,

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.