Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> on 2002/11/03 17:50:51 UTC

Converting Texinfo to DocBook

This may be relevant for the SVN book authors.

"Arnold Robbins explains how he transformed Texinfo into DocBook
for Effective Awk (for O'Reilly)."

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/linux/2002/11/01/awk3.html

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>

Re: Converting Texinfo to DocBook

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Zack Brown <zb...@tumblerings.org> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 09:50:51AM -0800, Blair Zajac wrote:
> > This may be relevant for the SVN book authors.
> >
> > "Arnold Robbins explains how he transformed Texinfo into DocBook
> > for Effective Awk (for O'Reilly)."
> >
> > http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/linux/2002/11/01/awk3.html
>
> Is this the direction Subversion is going? Currently I see four
> distinct documentation formats in the project: plain text, emacs
> outline, texinfo, and docbook.  That does seem like a lot. It might
> be best to standardize on two of them. Say, docbook format for
> formatted docs, and emacs outline for everything else.

I definitely would like to see the texinfo disappear in favor of
docbook for formatted documents.

As for plain text and emacs outline -- I don't see the point in
drawing a distinction between these two.  I mean, while all the
formats you listed above are textual formats, I don't think I'm out of
line to suggest that the formats can be divided into:

   1.  those that have no special 'markup info' ("plain text").
   2.  those whose 'markup info' is an annoyance when treated as plain
       text ("docbook" and "texinfo").
   3.  those whose 'markup info' is non-obtrusive, perhaps even useful,
       when treated as plain text ("outline mode").

To me, categories 1 and 3 are effectively the same.  Using an ignorant
text-file viewer, the user's reading experience is not encumbered by
out-of-band markup data.  So, I'd say, stick with docbook for anything
in category 2, and let everything in categories 1 and 3 use whatever
format best suits the task.

Re: Converting Texinfo to DocBook

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On Sunday, November 3, 2002, at 04:53 PM, Zack Brown wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 09:50:51AM -0800, Blair Zajac wrote:
>> This may be relevant for the SVN book authors.
>>
>> "Arnold Robbins explains how he transformed Texinfo into DocBook
>> for Effective Awk (for O'Reilly)."
>>
>> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/linux/2002/11/01/awk3.html
>
> Is this the direction Subversion is going?

the old 'subversion handbook' has been converted from texinfo into
docbook as part of becomming the new subversion o'reilly's book cmike,
ben collins-sussman, and fitz are working on.

> Currently I see four distinct
> documentation formats in the project: plain text, emacs outline,
> texinfo,
> and docbook.  That does seem like a lot. It might be best to
> standardize on
> two of them. Say, docbook format for formatted docs, and emacs outline
> for
> everything else.

requiring some special (even really simple) format for random notes
files seems like overkill.  personally, i'm all in favor of getting rid
of the texinfo in fovor of docbook for things that are meant to be
printed out or rendered into some other format, but i don't see the
point in messing with the plain text stuff.  it works well enough the
way it is.

-garrett

--
garrett rooney                    Remember, any design flaw you're
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net      sufficiently snide about becomes

Re: Converting Texinfo to DocBook

Posted by Zack Brown <zb...@tumblerings.org>.
On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 09:50:51AM -0800, Blair Zajac wrote:
> This may be relevant for the SVN book authors.
>
> "Arnold Robbins explains how he transformed Texinfo into DocBook
> for Effective Awk (for O'Reilly)."
>
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/linux/2002/11/01/awk3.html

Is this the direction Subversion is going? Currently I see four distinct
documentation formats in the project: plain text, emacs outline, texinfo,
and docbook.  That does seem like a lot. It might be best to standardize on
two of them. Say, docbook format for formatted docs, and emacs outline for
everything else.

> Best,
> Blair
>
> --