Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "變色瓏 (莊偉瓏)" <ch...@ms5.hinet.net> on 2001/03/01 17:48:46 UTC

about xalan

Hello,

Some problems arose when I was trying to convert xml to html with Big5 characters in the xml file.
As I was trying out the example "AppletXMLtoHTML" in xalan-j_2_0_D05 to xalan-j_2_0_0, the html source file contained garbled messages at places where Big5 characters were in the xml file.  For instance,"張三" became "&#24373;&#19977;".  Such problem was not seen in an older version such as xalan-j_2_0_D01.  I wonder if this could be a bug, so I would appreciate it if you would let me know since my work requires the use of xalan-j_2_0_0, and that we do need the html source files to be free of error.  Thank you.

ps:  1) I'm using jdk 1.3.0.01
       2) Attached are the xml file and xsl file.

Re: about xalan

Posted by "陳照東) <alex@erp.ncu.edu.tw>" <Alex>.
hi 莊偉瓏
 as ur problem u have been saw that some body mention this problem.
so, i use saxon vertion and just be fine.
but i will try ur case either.

                                                                                Alex from ncu.

Re: about xalan

Posted by Michael Beddow <mb...@mbeddow.net>.
On Thursday, March 01, 2001 6:03 PM
變色瓏 (莊偉瓏 wrote
> garbled messages at places
> where Big5 characters were in the xml file.  For instance,"張三"
became
> "&#24373;&#19977;".

Those aren't really garbled messages. They're character references to
correct Unicode code-points for the characters concerned, and both
XHTML and HTML >=4 require such references to be to the Unicode
codepoints, no matter what encoding your document is set to. Correctly
configured browsers should know how to handle them.

To understand the issues here, please see Mike Brown's paper at
http://skew.org/xml/tutorial/
which will explain the encoding issues and point out the options you
have when setting encodings for your input and output. Please note
that if you see differences between what Mike says and what other
sources tell you on these issues, Mike is almost certain to be right.

Michael
Michael Beddow
http://www.mbeddow.net/

RE: about xalan