Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org> on 2015/12/09 09:42:41 UTC

DocumentRDB builds time out on Jenkins

Hi,

In the last 5 build on our Jenkins instance [1] we always had one of the
DocumentRDB jobs timing out [2]. This means the job didn't complete
within 90 minutes. This is not because we are close to the limit as
regular builds take roughly 30 minutes.

Is there anything we could do in the short term so we get at least
useful results back from Jenkins again?

Michael

[1] https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Jackrabbit%20Oak%20matrix/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-3743

Re: DocumentRDB builds time out on Jenkins

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 9.12.15 12:41 , Julian Reschke wrote:

>> Something must be way wrong as the build either takes ~30 minutes or it
>> times out after 90 minutes. There is quite a difference here. Maybe we
>> need to go through the log files and compare test execution times of
>> individual tests between timed out and succeeded builds to get a clue.
>
> Any chance we could get Jenkins to get a thread dump when aborting the VM?

I don't think so. But maybe we can hack something in somehow on our side?

Michael

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 11.12.15 4:19 , Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2015-12-11 16:07, Michael Dürig wrote:
>>> And build 611
>>> (<https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Jackrabbit%20Oak%20matrix/611/>)
>>>
>>> is
>>> going to timeout again (this time for the RDBMK JDK 1.7 integration
>>> tests).
>>>

>> No it didn't:
>> https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Jackrabbit%20Oak%20matrix/611/jdk=latest1.7,label=Ubuntu,nsfixtures=DOCUMENT_RDB,profile=unittesting/
>>

> Right, I was too pessimistic.
>
>> All RDB builds consistently ran at around 0.5h for builds 611 and 615.
>> This looks much better now.
>
> But they didn't in between. So maybe we solved just one of multiple
> problems.

Rats, I didn't see
https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Jackrabbit%20Oak%20matrix/614/

I was too optimistic :(

Michael

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@greenbytes.de>.

Posted by Tomek Rekawek <re...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

On 10/12/15 15:58, "Julian Reschke" <ju...@gmx.de> wrote:

>Anyway, that still doesn't explain the confusion in the surefire logs, no?

I think I found a cause of this one. The custom Parallelized runner we use has a bug - if a test class runs for longer than 10 minutes, it will stop waiting for it and run the next class (while the previous is still running in the background). I’ve described this in the comment to OAK-3743 [1] and attached a patch.

This seems like a side-effect of the RepositoryTest running very slow, but not the main cause of the performance issues in Jenkins.

Best regards,
Tomek

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-3743

Re: DocumentRDB builds time out on Jenkins

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <mr...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

hmm, this could be similar to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-2704

I had a closer look at the DOCUMENT_RDB fixture and I think
the problem is with the createNodeStore() method. The method
is supposed to create independent node store instances, but
the RDB implementation uses an instance field for the data source.
this means when called concurrently one store may point to
the data source created by another thread.

Regards
 Marcel

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2015-12-10 14:57, Tomek Rekawek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I spent some time analysing the logs and I found out a strange thing. On a “slow” machine, in the surefire logs for the AtomicCounterTest (which takes 63 sec while it should 3 sec), following test case appears [1]:
>
>    <testcase time="2.261" classname="org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.jcr.RepositoryTest" name="importWithRegisteredType[RDBDocumentStore on jdbc:derby:oaktest\;create=true]"/>
>

> It’s a test case from a completely different class. I downloded all the surefire reports [2] and it seems that the test cases from the RepositoryTest class are spread across CRUDTest, ConflictResolutionTest, ObservationTest and others. Tests from the RepositoryTest class are executed in a different thread (pool-29-thread-1 in [3]). On the “fast” machines the problem doesn’t exist and all RepositoryTest methods are invoked within their own test case.
>
> I don’t know yet what’s the cause of this, but will dig deeper.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomek

Wow. Great digging.

Maybe one thing to do first is to upgrade surefire to the latest version?

Best regards, Julian

Re: DocumentRDB builds time out on Jenkins

Posted by Tomek Rekawek <re...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tomek Rekawek <re...@adobe.com>.
On 10/12/15 11:27, "Michael Dürig" <md...@apache.org> wrote:

>> I’ve noticed that the failed builds can be assigned to a few
>> machines. For instance, builds on ubuntu-6, ubuntu-5, H11 and H10
>> fails almost every time. On the other hand, all builds on the
>> jenkins-ubuntu-1404-4gb succeedes.
>
>Good find! Are these machines slower in general (i.e. for all builds) or
>only for the DocumentRDB builds? In the former case it might make sense
>to just increase the time out.

During the failing build tests are much slower (eg. AtomicCounterTest takes 82s in #604 rather than 4s in #603). I think there’s something specific about these machines that triggers a performance issue in the RDB or Derby.

Speed of SegmentMK tests is comparable on all machines.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:27 AM, Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 10.12.15 11:02 , Tomek Rekawek wrote:
>> ...Maybe we can change the configuration, so the
>> target/unittest.log file will be archived if the job is failed?...
>
> This would be useful anyway but I think so far no one has figured out how to
> do it....

On Jenkins, "Archive the artifacts" in "Post-build Actions" should do it.

-Bertrand

Re: DocumentRDB builds time out on Jenkins

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Jackrabbit%20Oak%20matrix/593/jdk=jdk1.8.0_11,label=Ubuntu,nsfixtures=DOCUMENT_RDB,profile=unittesting/console

Re: DocumentRDB builds time out on Jenkins

Posted by Tomek Rekawek <re...@adobe.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.