Posted to nutch-general@lucene.apache.org by John Whelan <jo...@whelanlabs.com> on 2009/03/28 22:17:02 UTC

Re: nutch and C#/.net

Hello,

I have not heard of any attempt to port Nutch to any other
language. The effort would be greater than just porting the Java code. From
what I understand, Nutch, (and underlying components) are dependent on
Linux/UNIX OS commands. I believe that a complete porting of the application
would be difficult, and I doubt that there is sufficient ‘critical mass’ to
undertake the effort. My understanding is that the ‘best
practice’ to running Nutch on Windows is to use Cygwin.

Why am I responding in this thread? As it turns out, I had
the same issue (running Nutch on Windows). As a solution, I built a wrapper
Nutch that included an installer and an administrative UI in order to make
it simpler
for Windows administrators. If you are interested, you can find out more
about
what I did at
http://whelanlabs.home.comcast.net/~whelanlabs/content/SearchEngineManager.htm
my
web site . If you do try out the WhelanLabs wrapper for Nutch, please let me
know what
you think; I’d love constructive feedback, so that I can apply it to future
improvements.

Regards,

John