Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by mocherla14 <ra...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/09 07:12:29 UTC

Tomcat5.5 webserver unstable

EFFECT:
Tomcat server goes down now and then for no reason.
The GUI can not be accesed.
Problem has been facin even and then

This is the line in the Catalina log file:

Dec 5, 2006 11:33:07 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool logFull
SEVERE: All threads (200) are currently busy, waiting. Increase maxThreads
(200) or check the servlet status

some soultions i had found but not sure
The threadlock is likely in whatever webapp you're running, or less likely a
thread issue between your JDK and OS (which I would guess is Linux). As a
stopgap, you might try setting the thread timeout parameter (don't know the
exact syntax offhand) to something fairly low so Tomcat will destroy any
hanging threads after a certain period of time.

plz kindly help with more deatiled answers.

Re: Tomcat5.5 webserver unstable

Posted by Roland Lammel <rl...@brabbel.net>.
This looks more like your application(s) is keeping the threads busy. So
tomcat is running out of free threads/workers to handle the incoming
requests.

You are either having a generic problem in your application where your
application is not closing the request hence keeping the thread occupied, or
simply been under heavy load where actually more than 200 requests had to be
handled in a very short time (this could especially happen if you serve
complex long loading pages and have high number of concurrent requests in
that period).

You could
- increase the maxthreads for the connector in server.xml
- decrease connectionTimeout / maxKeepAliveRequests of the connector in case
clients are causing the issue
- Try to find the application logic that does not end the request (or keeps
hanging in the background doing some external data queries)

Cheers

+rl

On 1/9/07, mocherla14 <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> EFFECT:
> Tomcat server goes down now and then for no reason.
> The GUI can not be accesed.
> Problem has been facin even and then

> This is the line in the Catalina log file:
>
> Dec 5, 2006 11:33:07 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool logFull
> SEVERE: All threads (200) are currently busy, waiting. Increase maxThreads
> (200) or check the servlet status
>

> some soultions i had found but not sure
> The threadlock is likely in whatever webapp you're running, or less likely
> thread issue between your JDK and OS (which I would guess is Linux). As a
> stopgap, you might try setting the thread timeout parameter (don't know
> the
> exact syntax offhand) to something fairly low so Tomcat will destroy any
> hanging threads after a certain period of time.
>

> plz kindly help with more deatiled answers.

Roland Lammel

"Enjoy your job, make lots of money, work within the law. Choose any two."

RE: Tomcat5.5 webserver unstable

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: mocherla14 [mailto:ravi.mocherla@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat5.5 webserver unstable
>
> Dec 5, 2006 11:33:07 AM
> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool logFull
> SEVERE: All threads (200) are currently busy, waiting.

Take a thread dump of the situation and find out where the threads are
executing or what they're waiting on.  The exact mechanism for doing so
depends on the platform you're running on (kill -3 on Linux).  Here's
one discussion of additional options:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/mandychung/archive/2005/11/thread_dump_and_
1.html

 - Chuck