Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Robert Varga <ni...@hq.sk> on 2022/08/20 01:02:15 UTC

jre-properties past Java 9

Hello JB, everyone,

I would like to raise the question of Karaf handles packages exposed
from the Java runtime.

Since the advent of jlink(1), the enumeration of available packages is
very much a subject to change between environments.

I have recently raised https://github.com/apache/karaf/pull/1537, which
added packages based on the proper JRE version, which is not perfect,
but certainly better than what was merged as a resolution of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-7431 afterwards:
https://github.com/apache/karaf/pull/1555

I would like to understand more about what made you change the patch --
it seems it was something CI-related, certainly looking like an
environment issue at a first glance.

I mean, if Java versions do not matter (as done in the merged patch),
and given Karaf supports only Java 8+, does that version number in
jre.properties matter at all at this point?!

Given that we need to raise patches again and again just to keep Karaf
working with newer Java versions, which are now appearing with much
faster cadence than before, I wonder if we should have a better
mechanism in place, somehow.

At the end of the day, the use case is: if I have have static distro,
with karaf-4.4 (OSGi R8), I should be able to pull the packaging down to
JRE level (and hence subject to jlink!) and have Karaf lauch an OSGi
runtime where all bundles are provided by the Java/JPMS layer via OSGi
Connect -- thus being subject to goodies like CDS... how well is this
currently supported?

Regards,
Robert

Re: jre-properties past Java 9

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Robert,

IMHO, at some point, jre.properties should be removed with R8 and use
only meta features for non jdk packages.

I would say that we would need a pass about that (I just do first
changes too quickly IMHO).

Regards
JB