Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Roberto Nunnari <ro...@supsi.ch> on 2006/02/06 10:51:34 UTC

fop 0.91beta vs 0.20.5

Hello list.

I was trying to align the content of a table cell on the
bottom using vertical-align="bottom", but I found out that
it is not supported in 0.20.5 but it is in 0.91beta, together
with many other features.

So, I'm thinking about moving to 0.91beta, but as I remember
that some time ago I read somewhere that 0.91beta is not
adviced for production environment, I'd like to ask whether
now things have changed and if it is now safer to use
0.91beta in production environment.

Best regards.
--
Robi

Re: fop 0.91beta vs 0.20.5

Posted by Roberto Nunnari <ro...@supsi.ch>.
Thank you. And that work on 0.20.5, too. But I'll try anyway
to move to 0.91beta soon. I've noticed that 0.91beta correctly
shows partial totals in bold, while 0.20.5 doesn't.

Best regards.
--
Robi

Re: fop 0.91beta vs 0.20.5

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Sorry, I didn't catch that earlier. What you're looking for is
display-align="after". vertical-align is for the alignment of boxes
inside a line area not inside a table-cell.

On 06.02.2006 18:03:44 Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> Thank you Jeremias, that solves the problem.
>
> But even using 0.91beta, I cannot align table-cell
> content to the bottom of the cell.
>
> I would expect that the following:

>      margin="0mm"
>      vertical-align="bottom">
>    <block>m2</block>
>
> would align the table-cell content to the bottom, but
> it doesn't..
>
> Again, the complete source FO document used is available at:
> http://robi.nunnari.net/offerta.xml
>
> Any ideas?
<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki

Re: fop 0.91beta vs 0.20.5

Posted by Roberto Nunnari <ro...@supsi.ch>.

Re: fop 0.91beta vs 0.20.5

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Interesting. It's caused by the "title" element under the page-sequence.
If you comment it, the problem goes away. I will have to take a closer
look to find out what's going on.

On 06.02.2006 12:53:30 Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just gave a try at 0.91beta and I get a null pointer exception:
>
> E:\soft\apache\fop-0.91beta>.\fop.bat -fo offerta.xml -pdf offerta.pdf
> Exception
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>
> The very same file, can be parsed successfully with 0.20.5
>
> E:\soft\apache\fop-0.20.5>.\fop.bat -fo ..\fop-0.91beta\offerta.xml -pdf
> offerta.pdf
> [INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
> [INFO] FOP 0.20.5
> [INFO] Using org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser
> [INFO] building formatting object tree
> [INFO] setting up fonts
> [INFO] [1]
> [INFO] [2]
> [INFO] [3]
> [INFO] Parsing of document complete, stopping renderer
>
> The source FO document used is available at:
> http://robi.nunnari.net/offerta.xml
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Best regards.
> --
> Robi
>

> Roberto Nunnari wrote:
> > Thank you Jeremias.
> >
> > I'll do some testing and if all seams right I'll try to deploy
> > 0.91beta to the production environment.
> > After some time of usage, I'll report the result (user satisfaction
> > related to the switch from 0.20.5) of its introduction to the
> > production environment.
> >
> > Best regards.
> > --
> > Robi
> >

> > Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> >
> >> In my opinion, FOP 0.91beta can be used in production if you test it
> >> very thouroughly for the particular documents you need it for. There are
> >> still some features missing that FOP 0.91beta makes not universally
> >> usable, yet. At least at the moment, it's still not a complete
> >> replacement for FOP 0.20.5 althought we're very close now.
> >>
> >> At any rate, we'd love to hear any success stories about the latest
> >> release. :-)

> >> Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Re: fop 0.91beta vs 0.20.5