Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com> on 2001/08/05 19:08:16 UTC

Re: Pipe dreams and other wishes

>>>>> "K" == Kurt Schrader <ks...@engin.umich.edu> writes:

    K> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-turbine/notes/

    K> Read and be enlightened!

Well, of course, I went there long before posting, and this is what
I found:

  Have to figure out the pipeline API and the the view mechanism
  together. I know there are misfits:

  o portal view doesn't follow classic
  o binary output doesn't follow classic model
  o output of markups other than html
  o output of xml tranformations

  We want to be able to output anything in a flexible manner.
  Rigth now we are constrained by the classic model.

I expect this makes sense if you have the magic decoder ring, but
I tend to skip breakfast and eat cheerios when I don't.

Can someone define:

        - "pipeline API"
        - "the view mechanism" (which view? view of what?)
        - "portal view" (who's portal? Turbine? Velocity?)
        - "classic model" (?)
        - "output of ..." (output from what?  From Turbine? From Velocity?)

Maybe I'm dense (which I am) but these 'notes' aren't particularly
helpful.  I can only guess that, with the context of some IRC log,
maybe it's all perfectly sensical, but out of context, it's not. I'm
especially invited by the second last line of that file, but how is
the "classic model" constraining us and what is the proposed solution?

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@teledyn.com> TeleDynamics Communications Inc