Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kai Behncke <Ka...@gmx.de> on 2009/06/02 15:46:48 UTC

Newbie question: How to test if Tomcat is running?

Dear users,

I have installed tomcat on a Debian Etch-System via

apt-get install tomcat5.5 tomcat5.5-admin tomcat5.5-webapps

and started it with /etc/init.d/tomcat start

Now I would like to test if it runs on my remote server, but if I type:

http://www.myhomepage.de:8180

nothing at all appears?

Is this the normal way? Shall I change some entries (and if so, whre?)?

Thank you very much, Kai

Re: Newbie question: How to test if Tomcat is running?

Posted by will trillich <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Kai Behncke <Ka...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Dear users,
>
> I have installed tomcat on a Debian Etch-System via
>
> apt-get install tomcat5.5 tomcat5.5-admin tomcat5.5-webapps
>
> and started it with /etc/init.d/tomcat start
>
> Now I would like to test if it runs on my remote server, but if I type:
>
> http://www.myhomepage.de:8180
>
> nothing at all appears?
>
> Is this the normal way? Shall I change some entries (and if so, whre?)?

Make sure you know which ports it's using:

apt-get install lsof
lsof -ni | egrep 'tomcat|java'

Hope this helps!

--
will trillich
"Tis the set of the sails / And not the gales / That tells the way we

Re: Newbie question: How to test if Tomcat is running?

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <to...@list-post.mks-mail.de>.
Peter Crowther:

>> From: Kai Behncke [mailto:Kai-Behncke@gmx.de]
>> I have installed tomcat on a Debian Etch-System via

>> http://www.myhomepage.de:8180
>>
>> nothing at all appears?
>
> Unless Debian changes Tomcat's configuration a lot, the default port is port 8080, not 8180.  Try that?

IIRC Debian does change the port in Tomcat's default configuration (I'm
not sure if anyone knows why, though).

--
Regards
  mks

RE: Newbie question: How to test if Tomcat is running?

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Kai Behncke [mailto:Kai-Behncke@gmx.de]
> I have installed tomcat on a Debian Etch-System via
> apt-get install tomcat5.5 tomcat5.5-admin tomcat5.5-webapps
>
> and started it with /etc/init.d/tomcat start
>
> Now I would like to test if it runs on my remote server, but
> if I type:
>
> http://www.myhomepage.de:8180
>
> nothing at all appears?

Unless Debian changes Tomcat's configuration a lot, the default port is port 8080, not 8180.  Try that?

                - Peter

RE: Newbie question: How to test if Tomcat is running?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
test locally e.g.
http://localhost:PORT

port attribute defined in http <connector in server.xml

please display $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml

viel gluck,
Martin
Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 06:46:48 -0700
> From: Kai-Behncke@gmx.de
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Newbie question: How to test if Tomcat is running?
>

> Dear users,
>
> I have installed tomcat on a Debian Etch-System via
>

> apt-get install tomcat5.5 tomcat5.5-admin tomcat5.5-webapps
>
> and started it with /etc/init.d/tomcat start
>
> Now I would like to test if it runs on my remote server, but if I type:
>
> http://www.myhomepage.de:8180
>
> nothing at all appears?
>
> Is this the normal way? Shall I change some entries (and if so, whre?)?
>
> Thank you very much, Kai

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.