Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> on 1998/09/23 21:47:08 UTC

Re: [jum@ans.helios.de: Proposal: changes to the binbuild.sh script]

>Here my proposal again. There two other points that have been brought up
>that appear to be interesting:
>
>* Do not ship the source at all, just ship the binaries. Good idea, but
>  then the binary tar ball should be totally different, it should
>  probably mirror a /usr/local/apache directory with just one script to
>  copy over things, preserving what is already there for upgrades.

I don't like the idea of shipping the binary without the source.
It serves as an important record and documentation of what went into
the binary, even if the person who downloads it never looks at it
themself.  Since we don't keep a copy of every version distributed,
we need to send the source with the binary.

....Roy

Re: [jum@ans.helios.de: Proposal: changes to the binbuild.sh script]

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de>.
On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 02:17:19PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> More economic for whom?  It results in a larger download, but then
> we don't have to answer questions about where to get the source and
> we don't have to worry about finding the source two years from now
> when someone wants to see it.

More economic for downloads. I would suspect that most bug reports
will/are correlated by version number and the known history of that
version. Or did the Apache developers indeed request from a bug report
submitter the source of his binary tar ball in the past?

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3
30827 Garbsen
Germany

Phone:		+49 5131 709320
FAX:		+49 5131 709325
Internet:	jum@helios.de

Re: [jum@ans.helios.de: Proposal: changes to the binbuild.sh script]

Posted by Jens-Uwe Mager <ju...@helios.de>.
On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 12:47:08PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> I don't like the idea of shipping the binary without the source.
> It serves as an important record and documentation of what went into
> the binary, even if the person who downloads it never looks at it
> themself.  Since we don't keep a copy of every version distributed,
> we need to send the source with the binary.

Hmm, isn't it more economic to just keep the one source tar archive
instead of putting it into each binary tar?
--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3