Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jim Shi <hj...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2016/01/11 19:13:42 UTC

collection configuration stored in Zoo Keeper with solrCloud

Hi, I have question regarding collection configurations stored Zoo Keeper with solrCloud.
All collection configurations are stored at Zoo Keeper. What happens if you want to restart all Zoo Keeper instances? Does the Zoo Keeper persists data on disk and can restore all configurations from disk?

Re: collection configuration stored in Zoo Keeper with solrCloud

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/11/2016 11:13 AM, Jim Shi wrote:
> Hi, I have question regarding collection configurations stored Zoo Keeper with solrCloud.
> All collection configurations are stored at Zoo Keeper. What happens if you want to restart all Zoo Keeper instances? Does the Zoo Keeper persists data on disk and can restore all configurations from disk?

Typically Zookeeper does store its database on disk.  I do not know
whether there are config options that would change this behavior.  If
there are, then I hope that you would be aware that they have been used.

If you have at least three zookeeper nodes, then you can restart them
one at a time and as long as they come up properly and your SolrCloud
installation is properly configured to use all of the zookeeper nodes,
it will not experience any problems.  A zookeeper ensemble with fewer
than three nodes is not fault tolerant.  Solr's zkHost parameter must
include all of the zookeeper nodes in the ensemble.

For stability, we recommend using standalone zookeeper software
(separate from Solr), with typical zookeeper defaults.  The amount of
support this mailing list can provide for zookeeper is minimal, but we
will attempt to help with simple problems.  The zookeeper project has
its own mailing lists.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: collection configuration stored in Zoo Keeper with solrCloud

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Do be a little careful though..... The sample zookeeper config
that comes with an Apache install of Zookeeper defaults
to storing the data in /tmp/zookeeper which is _not_ a place
you want persistent data on *nix systems. Note, this is _not_
the default for embedded Zookeeper in Solr.

And the other thing to check, depending on the age of your
zookeeper is whether it purges snapshots...

Best,
Erick

Posted by Jeff Courtade <co...@gmail.com>.