Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Rick Curry <ri...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/17 18:33:53 UTC

Using the C/C Tool Collection Descriptors - not seeing toolchain after install

I'm using the tutorial at
https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/cnd/toolchain.html

This tutorial mostly worked on Windows using 12.4.

Worth noting in 12.4:
 - I found I needed to clean and build the module each time to guarantee
changes came through
 - This meant I needed to add 8.2 support and the C/C++ add-on to 12.4 for
each test run, which was a little tedious but workable once I understood
this was the necessary cycle.
 - I created an NBM package as described.  This seemed to fail on signing,
so I added a self-signed certificate.  Perhaps add a link and say if
self-signed will work?  I don't think signing is mentioned.
 -  toolchaindefinition.xsd is nowhere I have been able to locate.
 - got as far as "7. If the new tool collection (GNU_tuned) is not
shown,..."

My current symptoms are that my new module works when I run/debug it, and
the NBM package adds, installs, and reasonably demands a reboot each time I
uninstall then remove it.  It just does not show up in my Tool Collections
when I "Restore Defaults" as I would expect.  This is all working fine when
I 'run' it using the debug copy of NetBeans and the shadow copies of the
tool collection descriptors.

Can someone tell me what piece of the puzzle I'm missing?

Added: I went digging and found
%appdata%\NetBeans\12.4\var\log\messages.log. I don't see any serious
problem there however: