Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by David Smith <Da...@aeroint.com> on 2001/11/29 10:14:28 UTC

Rotating text using the DOM api

I am trying to rotate a text element so it stands vertical without using
"writing-mode".

Currently I do it by:

    elem.setAttributeNS(null, "writing-mode", "tb" );

But this rotates the text 90 degrees clockwise.  I want to be able to rotate
it 90 degrees anticlockwise.

I have tried to use

    elem.setAttributeNS(null, "rotate", "90" );

 - which i thought would have been the obvious solution - but this has no
effect at all.

Is this a bug in batik?  Or am I using the wrong attribute?

Thanks in advance,
Dave Smith

This Internet E-mail is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received it in error please notify us immediately by telephone and destroy the transmission. You must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it.

Aerosystems International               Phone: +44 (0)1935 443000
                                        Fax  : +44 (0)1935 443111
                                        Web  : www.aeroint.com

Re: Rotating text using the DOM api

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
David,

I think there are two issues:

a. Batik does not support dynamic updates through the DOM yet, and
   this explains that whatever you do through the DOM API is not
   reflected on screen.

b. The rotate attribute applies a rotation to each glyph, no to
   the whole string, so I think it will not do what you want.
   You may want to try:
   elem.setAttributeNS(null, "transform", "rotate(90, xxx, yyy)");
   where xxx and yyy are your <text> anchor.

I hope this helps.
Vincent.