Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Simon Knight <sk...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/23 05:54:49 UTC

Why does svn update the database during co?

I am trying to figure out a problem we have with subversion going very slow
on checkout occasionally.  If the repository is blown away and the backup is
restored then the speed is also restored.  I did a directory diff after the
co, and noticed that the repository had changed, but no ci had been done.
Why is this?  It happens with all versions I have tried, 0.28 to 0.31.

cheers

Re: Why does svn update the database during co?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Simon Knight" <sk...@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am trying to figure out a problem we have with subversion going very
> slow on checkout occasionally.  If the repository is blown away and
> the backup is restored then the speed is also restored.  I did a
> directory diff after the co, and noticed that the repository had
> changed, but no ci had been done.  Why is this?  It happens with all
> versions I have tried, 0.28 to 0.31.

Our current implentation of updates involves writing to the database a
temporary description of your working copy, diffing that description
against a pristine revision tree, and then removing the temporary
description.  So, you will see changes to your database even if no
commits happened.

And yes, we already know this is suboptimal. :-(