Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Vikas Reddy <re...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/01 21:25:53 UTC

Using Apache 2.0 license in iPhone applications

Hi, this is my first time using a mailing list so apologies in advance if I
commit any mailing list faux pas - please let me know if I have.

Our company is currently using Apache 2.0 licensed code in our iPhone
application which is distributed as a compiled binary - no source code. The
Apache 2.0 license states that
"You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works
thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or
Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions:
1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy
of this License;"

*For an iPhone application, what constitutes giving the recipients a copy of
the work? *On the iPhone and many other mobile platforms, users have no
direct access to the file system. In our application we have an info screen
that has an attribution link that takes users to a webpage describing our
use of the Apache 2.0 licensed code. This seems to fit better with the
spirit of the license since otherwise users would have no way to see the
license file. Is this the right approach with our application? Or can we
simply include a text file. I came across one discussion that had some
relevant information, but it didn't really answer my question:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200908.mbox/%3C4FFA9271-8BF6-4CBC-AD47-263C201DBC68@gmail.com%3E.
One option, as suggested in this linked thread, is to add attribution
the iTunes description.

Also, we are licensing (for money) a compiled library (no source code) that
we created that uses an Apache 2.0 licensed library (with some modification
by us) as an independent module. *How should other companies that license
our library include an attribution?* Is it sufficient for companies that
license our library to attribute us in some way, and then we will attribute
the Apache 2.0 licensed library on our own site?

Thanks for your help!
Vikas

Re: Using Apache 2.0 license in iPhone applications

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Generally this is a "Talk to your lawyer" type question.

Offering my "I am not a lawyer" opinion:

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Vikas Reddy <re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, this is my first time using a mailing list so apologies in advance if I
> commit any mailing list faux pas - please let me know if I have.
>
> Our company is currently using Apache 2.0 licensed code in our iPhone
> application which is distributed as a compiled binary - no source code. The
> Apache 2.0 license states that
> "You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works
> thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or
> Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions:
> 1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy
> of this License;"
>
> For an iPhone application, what constitutes giving the recipients a copy of
> the work? On the iPhone and many other mobile platforms, users have no
> direct access to the file system. In our application we have an info screen
> that has an attribution link that takes users to a webpage describing our
> use of the Apache 2.0 licensed code. This seems to fit better with the
> spirit of the license since otherwise users would have no way to see the
> license file. Is this the right approach with our application? Or can we
> simply include a text file. I came across one discussion that had some
> relevant information, but it didn't really answer my question:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200908.mbox/%3C4FFA9271-8BF6-4CBC-AD47-263C201DBC68@gmail.com%3E
> . One option, as suggested in this linked thread, is to add attribution to
> the iTunes description.

I think this is fine, but as you only say it's AL 2.0 and not an
Apache Software Foundation product, that doesn't mean much. The owner
of the project would be the best to get such an assurance from.

> Also, we are licensing (for money) a compiled library (no source code) that
> we created that uses an Apache 2.0 licensed library (with some modification
> by us) as an independent module. How should other companies that license our
> library include an attribution? Is it sufficient for companies that license
> our library to attribute us in some way, and then we will attribute the
> Apache 2.0 licensed library on our own site?

I would expect them to license the AL 2.0 work themselves. Plus
whatever conditions you set.

Hen

Re: Using Apache 2.0 license in iPhone applications

Posted by natalia34love <na...@yandex.ru>.
Hello!
I am glad that you are interested in me and wrote me e-mail. I shall be very glad if you write to me and the other letters. I do not long ago started to look for love through the Internet, and I do not know much about him.
It was very difficult for me to place my structure in the service of acquaintances, because I'm in Russia, servicing acquaintances does not accept members from that country. In this letter, I will give you some information on their own and if the dialogue with me will be
interesting to you, I'll tell about me directly in more detail in the following letter. My name Nataliya, my age 33 years. I have a job and I am engaged in sports. I am very romantic woman also try to make my life interesting. My dream is to meet in my life, a good man who can understand me and love.
I am sending you a photo of me, and I ask that you send me some pictures of your life. Since it will be interesting to me to learn about his life, family, work and play. Write to me, I will wait for your letter.
I hope that in his letters, you tell me about yourself. For me, I would like to know you better. I ask you about what you would respond to my letters sincerely, because I really like the sincerity and truth! Since I heard about that a lot of online fraud.
I do not want to be mistaken in you, I want a genuine human communication.
Sincerely and truly yours. Nataliya !!!!!!