Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joergen Larsen <ni...@dbmail.dk> on 2004/03/21 19:54:25 UTC

[users@httpd] userdir gone

Hi
Suddenly I can't see my userdirs anymore.
I am running an Apache 1.3.27 on a windows 98.
I can get to the main site http://localhost but not to the "user
sub-sites" like http://localhost/~sandy.
If I start an Apache on another machine with the exact same
conf-file(adjusting for necessary paths) then it works fine with
localhost/~sandy

And another thing: Why can I not get to the site when asking for
http://www.nimmersoft.dk on the server-machine itself (which after all
holds both the server and the site-folders), when I can do it from the
two other machines and from anywhere else?.

 All machines are connected through a 3Com cable/gateway router.
I have disabled the router's built-in firewall so there should be
unlimited access through this gateway. All three machines are getting
their IP addresses from the router(DHCP).

Many Greetings Viele Gruesse Mange Hilsener
Lodrö Sangpo Joergen Larsen
www.nimmersoft.com www.nimmersoft.dk
Karmapa Chenno
OmManiPemeHung

Re: [users@httpd] userdir gone

Posted by Didier Peereboom Voller <di...@simpelinternet.nl>.
This is only a suggestion on why your last problem might occur.

Check what IP www.nimmersoft.dk resolves to on the server. If you got an
old entry in your hosts file (like for testing when your domain name
wasn't up yet then you are trying to connect to the wrong IP. Or maybe
you server is only listning on the outside IP address and that domain
resolves to a local IP.

This is at least what it was for me when I had similar trouble.

Didier.