Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Christian Andersson <ca...@ofs.no> on 2004/01/28 21:25:45 UTC

handling table deadletter

Hi there, I just have some question on how to handle the deadletter
table in mysql.

today when I looked  (have not looked at it for over 2 weeks) I had over
800 mails in there which has been blocked/rejected for some reason or
another..

what I would like to know is, is there any tool out there for managing
the deadletter table, in manage I do not mean just to use the mysql
sql-editor. so that I can decide if the rejected/blocked mail has been
"legally" blocked and delete them, and so that I can re-insert some
mails (that has been blocked for some strange reason but shuld not have
been blocked) back into the spool but behind the "blocking mechanism in
james)

can I set up an user in james that I then can use any mail-client to
"pop" the deadletter table?  or is ther some other way..

any ideas would be gratefull...

/Christian

Re: handling table deadletter

Posted by Christian Andersson <ca...@ofs.no>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>I had over 800 mails in there which has been blocked/rejected
>>for some reason or another..
>

> As of last night, we had over 60,000 in our spam trap.  Much of the spam is
> caught using denying e-mail service to DHCP pools, which are infested with
> infected Windows machines.

I don't have near that numners :-)  and ther eis only 2GB of harddisk
space free also.... (Only have 5 users so no big problem there)

>>is there any tool out there for managing the deadletter table
>

> What sort of tool?  There is no web-based browser, if that is the kind of
> tool you mean.

well mainly a tool which I can use to sort out what to delete and what
to respool so to speak, if it is just a small java-app that shows from,
to and subject I would be very happy (and if it could show how many
attachements, and the names of them it would be a bonus)

>>so that I can re-insert some mails (that has been blocked for
>>some strange reason but shuld not have been blocked) back into
>>the spool but behind the "blocking mechanism in james)
>

> I contributed a primitive "FromRepository" mailet for re-queuing from an
> existing respository.  One could establish respool repository, and move
> messages into it, allowing them to be requeued, but there is no automation
> around the process.

ok, this "tool" should also be able to respool it (with some additional
attributes so that it does not pop back into the deadletters table)

hmm perheps if I manage to find some free time, I'll make this tool, but
finding free time now is very hard...

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I had over 800 mails in there which has been blocked/rejected
> for some reason or another..

As of last night, we had over 60,000 in our spam trap.  Much of the spam is
caught using denying e-mail service to DHCP pools, which are infested with
infected Windows machines.

> is there any tool out there for managing the deadletter table

What sort of tool?  There is no web-based browser, if that is the kind of
tool you mean.

> so that I can re-insert some mails (that has been blocked for
> some strange reason but shuld not have been blocked) back into
> the spool but behind the "blocking mechanism in james)

I contributed a primitive "FromRepository" mailet for re-queuing from an
existing respository.  One could establish respool repository, and move
messages into it, allowing them to be requeued, but there is no automation
around the process.

	--- Noel