Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net> on 2009/05/11 18:38:31 UTC

Backwards-incompatible change in buildr 1.3.4: tasks/*.rake loaded after buildfile

Hi,

In buildr 1.3.4, it appears that the contents of tasks/*.rake are
evaluated after the buildfile itself.  This means that you can't use
methods defined in extension .rake files in the top level of your
buildfile, which worked in buildr 1.3.3.  Was this an intentional
change?  Or should I file a bug?

I can provide more detail if needed.  (BTW, I apologize that I wasn't
able to test this before now -- it appears to be a consequence of the
fix for BUILDR-255, which I reported.)

Thanks,
Rhett

Re: Backwards-incompatible change in buildr 1.3.4: tasks/*.rake loaded after buildfile

Posted by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>.
Hi Assaf,

On May 11, 2009, at 7:36 PM, Assaf Arkin wrote:

> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Rhett Sutphin <rhett@detailedbalance.net
> >wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In buildr 1.3.4, it appears that the contents of tasks/*.rake are
>> evaluated
>> after the buildfile itself.  This means that you can't use methods
>> defined
>> in extension .rake files in the top level of your buildfile, which
>> worked in
>> buildr 1.3.3.  Was this an intentional change?  Or should I file a
>> bug?
>

> Not intentional. I can't see it specified (or tested) anywhere. Rake
> loads
> tasks/*.rake after the Rakefile, useful for breaking up big
> Rakefiles; Buildr always loaded tasks/*.rake before the Buildfile,
> assuming
> projects would use these. The raw_load_buildfile is adapted from
> Rake, and
> lacking any tests, simply reverted to the Rake behavior.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I've filed

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BUILDR-278

and I'll take a look at adding specs and providing a patch today.

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In buildr 1.3.4, it appears that the contents of tasks/*.rake are evaluated
> after the buildfile itself.  This means that you can't use methods defined
> in extension .rake files in the top level of your buildfile, which worked in
> buildr 1.3.3.  Was this an intentional change?  Or should I file a bug?

Not intentional. I can't see it specified (or tested) anywhere. Rake loads
tasks/*.rake after the Rakefile, useful for breaking up big
Rakefiles; Buildr always loaded tasks/*.rake before the Buildfile, assuming
projects would use these. The raw_load_buildfile is adapted from Rake, and
lacking any tests, simply reverted to the Rake behavior.

Assaf