Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by jbeall <jb...@heraldic.us> on 2007/05/18 20:10:24 UTC

Trouble getting Tapestry up and running

Hi All,

I'm new to Tapestry and have spent the better portion of the day attempting
to get it running by going through "Enjoying Web Development with Tapestry"
by Kent Tong.  I have been unsuccessful in getting the HelloWorld app up and
running.  When I attempt to access localhost:8080/HelloWorld/app, I get an
error about not being able to find the class HiveMindClassPool.

I'm running Tomcat 5.5.23, JDK/JRE 1.6.0_01, Tapestry 4.1.1, on XP Pro.  In
my Tomcat shared/lib folder I have all the Tapestry jars, including
hivemind-1.1.1.jar -- when I use JODE to inspect this jar I can see that it
does indeed have org.apache.hivemind.service.impl.HiveMindClassPool, so I'm
not sure why Tomcat isn't picking it up.  Interestingly enough, if I delete
the jars out of that folder, I simply get a "not available" error at
HelloWorld/app (as opposed to a 500 error with a stack trace).

Any pointers?  I'm stumped, and I've been searching and haven't been able to
find any references to this sort of problem that others are experiencing.
Here's my complete stack trace:

May 18, 2007 2:05:15 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/hivemind/service/impl/HiveMindClassPool
	at
org.apache.hivemind.service.impl.ClassFactoryImpl.<init>(ClassFactoryImpl.java:34)
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.util.InstanceCreationUtils.createInstance(InstanceCreationUtils.java:54)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.CreateClassServiceConstructor.constructCoreServiceImplementation(CreateClassServiceConstructor.java:35)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.AbstractServiceModelImpl.constructCoreServiceImplementation(AbstractServiceModelImpl.java:108)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.AbstractServiceModelImpl.constructNewServiceImplementation(AbstractServiceModelImpl.java:158)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.AbstractServiceModelImpl.constructServiceImplementation(AbstractServiceModelImpl.java:140)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.PrimitiveServiceModel.getService(PrimitiveServiceModel.java:41)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.ServicePointImpl.getService(ServicePointImpl.java:210)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.ServicePointImpl.getService(ServicePointImpl.java:223)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.RegistryInfrastructureImpl.getService(RegistryInfrastructureImpl.java:207)
	at org.apache.hivemind.impl.ModuleImpl.getService(ModuleImpl.java:105)
	at org.apache.hivemind.impl.ProxyBuilder.<init>(ProxyBuilder.java:73)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.SingletonServiceModel.createSingletonProxyClass(SingletonServiceModel.java:145)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.SingletonServiceModel.createSingletonProxy(SingletonServiceModel.java:102)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.servicemodel.SingletonServiceModel.getService(SingletonServiceModel.java:57)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.ServicePointImpl.getService(ServicePointImpl.java:210)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.ServicePointImpl.getService(ServicePointImpl.java:223)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.RegistryInfrastructureImpl.getService(RegistryInfrastructureImpl.java:207)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.RegistryInfrastructureImpl.startup(RegistryInfrastructureImpl.java:434)
	at
org.apache.hivemind.impl.RegistryBuilder.constructRegistry(RegistryBuilder.java:154)
	at
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.constructRegistry(ApplicationServlet.java:253)
	at org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.init(ApplicationServlet.java:194)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1139)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:791)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:127)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:174)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
	at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:151)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:870)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
	at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:685)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
May 18, 2007 2:05:15 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Allocate exception for servlet HelloWorld

Re: Trouble getting Tapestry up and running

Posted by Geoff Callender <ab...@mac.com>.
A handy technique is to set up an Ant target that gets the versions
you want on the day, eg.

	<target name="get-dependent-jars">
		<setproxy></setproxy>

		<!-- web lib -->

		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/commons-codec.jar" usetimestamp="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//commons-codec/commons-codec/1.3/
commons-codec-1.3.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/commons-fileupload.jar"
usetimestamp="true" src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//commons-
fileupload/commons-fileupload/1.1.1/commons-fileupload-1.1.1.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/commons-io.jar" usetimestamp="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//commons-io/commons-io/1.1/commons-
io-1.1.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/hivemind.jar" usetimestamp="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//hivemind/hivemind/1.1.1/
hivemind-1.1.1.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/hivemind-lib.jar" usetimestamp="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//hivemind/hivemind-lib/1.1.1/
hivemind-lib-1.1.1.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/javassist.jar" usetimestamp="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//javassist/javassist/3.0/
javassist-3.0.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/ognl.jar" usetimestamp="true" src="http://
www.ibiblio.org/maven2//ognl/ognl/2.6.7/ognl-2.6.7.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/oro.jar" usetimestamp="true" src="http://
www.ibiblio.org/maven2//oro/oro/2.0.8/oro-2.0.8.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/tapestry.jar" usetimestamp="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//tapestry/tapestry/4.0.2/
tapestry-4.0.2.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/tapestry-annotations.jar"
usetimestamp="true" src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//tapestry/
tapestry-annotations/4.0.2/tapestry-annotations-4.0.2.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/tapestry-contrib.jar" usetimestamp="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//tapestry/tapestry-contrib/4.0.2/
tapestry-contrib-4.0.2.jar" />
		<get dest="${web.lib.dir}/tapestry-portlet.jar" usetimestamp="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2//tapestry/tapestry-portlet/4.0.2/
tapestry-portlet-4.0.2.jar" />
	</target>

Regards,

Geoff
http://files.doublenegative.com.au/jumpstart/

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Posted by jbeall <jb...@heraldic.us>.

Konstantin Ignatyev wrote:

> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry4.1/dependency-convergence.html
>
> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/tapestry-hibernate/dependencies.html

Good gravy!  I went through the entire list, googled them, and downloaded
every one.  After dropping the jars into my shared/lib folder, it seems to
be working, but I'm left with two questions:

-How can this possibly be right?  Surely I'm not understanding something; I

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

--- jbeall <jb...@heraldic.us> wrote:

> Konstantin Ignatyev wrote:
> >
> > Yes, it is irritating not to have all the
> necessary
> > jars.
> > I think there always should be a starter.war that
> > should been a complete web application setup to
> drop
> > into a servlet container and start playing.
> >
> > Bottom line: you need other jars: ognl, cglib ,
> etc.
>
> Where can I get the other jars I need?  Is there a
> prerequistes list I
> missed, I suppose?
>
> I don't recall seeing anything about needing other
> jars in Kent Tong's book;
> I thought it was a complete tutorial.
> at Nabble.com.

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> users-help@tapestry.apache.org

Konstantin Ignatyev

PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of tropical rainforest, create seventy-two miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million tons of topsoil, add 2,700 tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population by 263,000

Bowers, C.A.  The Culture of Denial:  Why the Environmental Movement Needs a Strategy for Reforming Universities and Public Schools.  New York:  State University of New York Press, 1997: (4) (5) (p.206)

Re: Trouble getting Tapestry up and running

Posted by jbeall <jb...@heraldic.us>.

Posted by jbeall <jb...@heraldic.us>.

Konstantin Ignatyev wrote:

> Bottom line: you need other jars: ognl, cglib , etc.

I downloaded those two jars and put them in my shared/lib Tomcat folder, but
I'm getting the same error.

I'm wondering if it's not that I'm missing jars (though I may be), but some
sort of configuration error.  Like I said, if I use JODE to open up the
hivemind-1.1.1.jar, I can find the
org.apache.hivemind.service.impl.HiveMindClassPool -- though when I try to
decompile it, JODE gives me a "jode.AssertError: Verification error"
exception.  Thoughts/help?

  -Josh

Re: Trouble getting Tapestry up and running

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

--- jbeall <jb...@heraldic.us> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to Tapestry and have spent the better
> portion of the day attempting
> to get it running by going through "Enjoying Web
> Development with Tapestry"
> by Kent Tong.  I have been unsuccessful in getting
> the HelloWorld app up and
> running.  When I attempt to access
> localhost:8080/HelloWorld/app, I get an
> error about not being able to find the class
> HiveMindClassPool.
>
> I'm running Tomcat 5.5.23, JDK/JRE 1.6.0_01,
> Tapestry 4.1.1, on XP Pro.  In
> my Tomcat shared/lib folder I have all the Tapestry
> jars, including
> hivemind-1.1.1.jar -- when I use JODE to inspect
> this jar I can see that it
> does indeed have
> org.apache.hivemind.service.impl.HiveMindClassPool,
> so I'm
> not sure why Tomcat isn't picking it up.
> Interestingly enough, if I delete
> the jars out of that folder, I simply get a "not
> available" error at
> HelloWorld/app (as opposed to a 500 error with a
> stack trace).
>
> Any pointers?  I'm stumped, and I've been searching
> and haven't been able to
> find any references to this sort of problem that
> others are experiencing.
> Here's my complete stack trace:
>
> May 18, 2007 2:05:15 PM
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
> SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> org/apache/hivemind/service/impl/HiveMindClassPool
> 	at

org.apache.hivemind.service.impl.ClassFactoryImpl.<init>(ClassFactoryImpl.java:34)
> 	at

sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
> [...]
> 	at

org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.init(ApplicationServlet.java:194)
> 	at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1139)
> 	at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.allocate(StandardWrapper.java:791)
> 	at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:127)
> 	at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:174)
> 	at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
> 	at

org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)

=== message truncated ===