Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/03 19:39:59 UTC

[VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Hello all,

I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

[ ] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper
[ ] +0 I am fine with this move
[ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
[ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...

This VOTE will remain open for a minimum of 72 hours.

Why this proposal? My points follow:

* [text] currently is the most active of the sandbox components.

* Since June of 2016, we have seen nine distinct authors of commits to the repository.

* In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to become a lighter more java language based component by removing a considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java application developer, potentially rarely used text processing algorithms.

Cheers,
-Rob

[RESULT][VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
The following votes were cast (in order of appearance):

Oliver Heger: +1
Bernd Eckendes: +1
Bruno P. Kinoshita: +1
Gilles Sadowski: +1
Jörg Schaible: +1
Dave Brosius: +1
Gary Gregory: +1
Stefan Bodewig: +1
Benedikt Ritter: +1
Duncan Jones: +1 (non-binding)
Thomas Vandahl: +1
Emmanuel Bourg: +1.

The vote has passed. Many thanks to all of the voters!

Does anyone have any advice on what the next steps here are. I’ve spent time reading over the documentation on release mechanics, but I have not yet found the documentation on component promotion from sandbox to proper.

Cheers,
-Rob

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Posted by Duncan Jones <du...@wortharead.com>.
+1
(non-binding)

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Rob,

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Gary

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
+1

Oliver

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 4/01/2017  11:11, Thomas Vandahl a crit :

> Would it be possible to check generally available code bases for usage
> statistics of the commons libraries classes? We could derive some
> packaging hints from this information. I'd argue that many people use
> commons-lang just for StringUtils, commons-code just for Base64-encoding
> or commons-collections just for CollectionUtils.

That's an excellent question. I'd love to see a tool that could download
from Maven Central the jars depending on a given library, and report the
classes and methods used.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
On 03.01.17 20:39, Rob Tompkins wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

> [X] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper
> [ ] +0 I am fine with this move
> [ ] -0 I am not too keen, because ...
> [ ] -1 I am against this move, because ...
[...]
> * In my opinion, a [text] release will help to accommodate [lang] to become a lighter more java language based component by removing a considerable amount of, from the perspective of the arbitrary java application developer, potentially rarely used text processing algorithms.

Would it be possible to check generally available code bases for usage
statistics of the commons libraries classes? We could derive some
packaging hints from this information. I'd argue that many people use
commons-lang just for StringUtils, commons-code just for Base64-encoding
or commons-collections just for CollectionUtils.

Bye, Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Promote TEXT to Proper

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
+1

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
+1

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 14:39:59 -0500, Rob Tompkins wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I propose that we move [text] to Commons Proper.

  [X] +1 Move [text] to Commons Proper

Gilles

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Gruss