Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1997/07/29 01:04:39 UTC

Web browser stats?

I remember a URL to current web browser version stats being posted here a
while ago.  Anybody have a good current summary of UserAgent
characteristics from a busy site?  I need to convince some yokels that it
should be ok to go with a Host-Header virtual host solution as opposed to
IP-based virtual hosts.

-Rasmus

Re: Web browser stats?

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.
On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Are those stats including gif accesses?  If so then you've skewed the lynx
> statistics.

Note the underlined text below. The figures also *exclude* requests for
style sheet(*) links which would account for an extra ~16% of pageviews.

Lynx is just a blip on the radar these days.. skewed or not.

> > Yesterday @ IMDb (pageview approx %ages)
> >                   ========
> >
> >  Netscape 3              46%
> >  Microsoft IE 3          22%
> >  Netscape 2              10%
> >  Netscape 4              10%
> >  Microsoft IE 4           7%
> >
> >  AOL v3                   2.3%
> >  Microsoft IE 2           1.7%
> >  Netscape 1               1%

(*) how to crash Netscape 4.. enable style sheets, disable javascript and
hit the net... if what I've seen is typical, you won't last long :-(

btw, the comment about remembering the small corps (another thread)
reminded me of the old joke.. what's the best way to get yourself a small
British company ?... setup a big one and wait a little.

Re: Web browser stats?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Are those stats including gif accesses?  If so then you've skewed the lynx
statistics.

Dean

Re: Web browser stats?

Posted by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com>.