Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com> on 2002/07/11 17:30:42 UTC

Fonts question

Hi,
I'm a user of apache cocoon and run into a font problem:
I want to output chinese characters in my pdf document.
But I get only "#" where letters should appear.
I have read that this is the case if the required font is
not installed.
My questions are:
1) Where do I need the font? On the machine where I generate the document
   or on the machine where I view/print the document or on both?
2) I can see the chinese characters in a html page in the browser
   Are there other fonts used for pdf generation than for the screen?
3) I'm generating the document on SuSE Linux 7.2
   Any idea where to get chinese (and other) fonts?
4) can the fo document be in UTF-8 (have raw bytes instead of &1234;)?

Thank you,
Michael

Re: Fonts question

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Enke, Michael wrote:
> My questions are:
> 1) Where do I need the font? On the machine where I generate the document
>    or on the machine where I view/print the document or on both?
You need it on the machine where the PDF is produced, and unless you
embed it into the PDF, also on all machines where the PDF is read.

> 2) I can see the chinese characters in a html page in the browser
>    Are there other fonts used for pdf generation than for the screen?

It depends. You can use TTF fonts for PDF generation, however, you have
to prepare them for FOP.

> 3) I'm generating the document on SuSE Linux 7.2
>    Any idea where to get chinese (and other) fonts?

Ask Google. You can try MS Arial TTF
  http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/aruniupd.aspx

> 4) can the fo document be in UTF-8 (have raw bytes instead of &1234;)?

Yes. See the XML spec
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006
for details.

J.Pietschmann