Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> on 2015/04/08 22:23:08 UTC

Naming Suggestions?

Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I believe nest is trademarked already.  Is it cold in here? ;)

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Clebert <cl...@gmail.com>.
I liked ng at first. But reactive made a very cool name.

-- Clebert Suconic typing on the iPhone.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Jim Gomes <e....@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Chris,

Calm down…

*At this point* I don’t see any reason for include trademarks@ in this.   Once we have some ideas to present to trademarks@, then yes.  We definitely need to include them and make sure whatever we select is acceptable.

Are we supposed to just send a note that says something like:

"We are trying to come up with a code name for some development efforts we are working on.  We have no idea what we’re going to call it yet as we’ve just started discussing possible names.  Just letting you know!”

That seems like a waste of time for the trademarks@ folks.   Once we’ve discussed things here and and decided on a name or possible sets of names we feel are suitable, then sure.  We’d log an issue at PODLINGNAMESEARCH and send a note to trademarks@ and make sure it’s OK prior to making it final.

That said, since what we are talking about is a code name and not a name of a “Project”, it SHOULD be easier (but again, we’ll verify with trademarks@ when we’ve decided on a name).   The name should always be referred to as “Apache ActiveMQ-BLAH” and never “Apache BLAH” or just “BLAH”.  The exception would be the normal dev chatter on our dev list.  This is just like the Apache ActiveMQ-NMS and Apache ActiveMQ-CMS we have now.

Dan

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
Shouldn't we get the best ones and start a vote already?

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Mark Frazier <mm...@me.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.
+1

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
+1

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Apache <name> incubating has a very nice ring to it

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
+1

Bruce

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 7:08 AM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
wrote:

> I do like Artemis.  ActiveMQ Artemis has a nice ring to it.
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM, Christian Posta
> <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nice, Dan! ArtemisMQ! I like it.

> >> Hermes?    That would be Apollo’s half brother.
> >>
> >> Or Artemis, Apollo’s twin sister.
> >>

> >> Dan

> >> --
> >> Daniel Kulp
> >> dkulp@apache.org - http://dankulp.com/blog
> >> Talend Community Coder - http://coders.talend.com
> >>

> > --
> > *Christian Posta*
> > twitter: @christianposta
> > http://www.christianposta.com/blog
> > http://fabric8.io
>

> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> hchirino@redhat.com | fusesource.com | redhat.com

perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Battlestar. Basestar. There are probably more A's and C's that I can
think of right now than B's.

Steering clear of the Cylon models.. :)

Robbie

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Mark Frazier <mm...@me.com>.
If you want a BSG theme, what about “Number 6”.

Too racy?

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Andy Taylor <an...@gmail.com>.
Or Baltar ;)

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Message processing is done by one thread driven event loop- like node.js. Though in reality, it would be multi reactor - with multiple event loops - maybe one per core. Apollo,HornetQ, vert.x are examples of this using this pattern

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by dlalaina <dl...@gmail.com>.
I like easy names too:

ActiveMQ Led
ActiveMQ Pulse
ActiveMQ Nova
ActiveMQ Dwarf
ActiveMQ Luna
ActiveMQ Puma
ActiveMQ Eagle
ActiveMQ Gorilla
ActiveMQ Fox
ActiveMQ Anna
ActiveMQ Guarani
ActiveMQ Avant

[]'s
Daniel La Laina

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

--
James
-------

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 9:56 AM, James Green <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ActiveMQ Art: most people would expect you to be referring to the graphics
> within.

Well, People would get it with the proper announcements...it's all
about the brand...  Like people would think about the fruit when Apple
started.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Green <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
I like Luna.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 04/10/2015 11:24 AM, Dejan Bosanac wrote:
> I like Reactive, as it also gives nice options for logo and other visual
> stuff, like (RE)ActiveMQ
+1

> Regards
> --
> Dejan Bosanac
> ----------------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> dbosanac@redhat.com
> Twitter: @dejanb
> Blog: http://sensatic.net
>
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>  I am.. but I thought about the coffee  :)
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 11:12 AM, James Carman
>> <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>>> No Battlestar Galactica fans?

>> names?

>> hiram@hiramchirino.com
>> name

>> redhat.com

>> --
>> Clebert Suconic
>> http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@jboss.com
>> http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
I like that! REActiveMQ

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Dejan Bosanac <de...@nighttale.net>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
How about Starbuck?

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Martyn Taylor <mt...@redhat.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Nope.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Nice, Dan! ArtemisMQ! I like it.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>.
So I'm about to start a vote thread to pick from the name option
posted on this thread.  I'm only going to include options posted on
this thread that have received a +1 from someone else to help reduce
the options a bit.  If you like an option that was posted, but have
not seen anyone else +1 it, please +1 it soon :)

Right now the only ones with +1 are:
ActiveMQ Artemis
ActiveMQ Luna
ActiveMQ Reactive

Regards,
HIram

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 for Artemis

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Petter Nordlander <Pe...@enfo.se>.
Hermes JMS (http://www.hermesjms.com<http://www.hermesjms.com/>) is a product in the same area. Although it’s a dead project, it still widely used as it’s bundled with the popular Soap UI product. A name collision could lead to confusion.

Just a thought.

Petter

Från: Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>>
Svara till: "dev@activemq.apache.org<ma...@activemq.apache.org>" <de...@activemq.apache.org>>
Datum: onsdag 8 april 2015 22:42
Till: "dev@activemq.apache.org<ma...@activemq.apache.org>" <de...@activemq.apache.org>>
Ämne: Re: Naming Suggestions?

+1 Hermes

[cid:part1.05010901.07050308@gmail.com]
Daniel Kulp<ma...@apache.org>
8 April 2015 21:41

On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:23 PM, Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com> wrote:

Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?

Hermes?    That would be Apollo’s half brother.

Or Artemis, Apollo’s twin sister.

Dan

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
hchirino@redhat.com<ma...@redhat.com> | fusesource.com | redhat.com

[cid:part2.01060801.04000409@gmail.com]
Hiram Chirino<ma...@hiramchirino.com>
8 April 2015 21:23

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hermes is already taken by Hermes JMS.. I wouldn't want to clash with that
name: http://www.hermesjms.com/confluence/display/HJMS/Home

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Good point
+1 Artemis

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Daniel Guggi <da...@gmail.com>.
i'm still fine with amq-6 :)

but if it has to be changed, my vote is of course "hades" :P

what ever name - lets get going!

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 Hermes