Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/07/07 10:53:09 UTC

Re: [vm-kernel][testing] Where to put VM-agnostic tests for kernel classes?

On 7 July 2006 at 12:55, "Alexey Varlamov" <al...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I know the topic of test layouts is too popular here, but let me offer
> some more grounds :)
>
> I think classlib tests should include a suite for VM-independent
> kernel tests, like recently created testcases in H-765 and H-721. The
> latter has gone to drlvm/vm/tests/smoke suite, which also has a number
> of good candidates for moving to a common place.
>
> I see classlib/luni-kernel as the most natural location for now, but
> maybe it worths a separate module altogether?

Yes.  I think tests that should pass on any VM's kernel classes should
live in the classlib modules (luni-kernel or security-kernel).

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [vm-kernel][testing] Where to put VM-agnostic tests for kernel classes?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
This is something I think we should do sooner rather than later...

geir

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
:)

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.
Sorry. :(

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.

Does this work for DRLVM now? I tried this method two weeks ago and couldn't

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Vladimir Gorr wrote:
> Agree. However we should have the possibility to run the class library
> tests
> against any VM.
>
> AFAIK we cannot provide this thing right now (java launcher requests the
> clearvm library).

That is the default name, but you can change it with a command line
option -vm: and put it in a directory specified by -vmdir:,

e.g. java -vmdir:drlvm -vm:foo

look in jre/bin/drlvm for a library called foo.[so|dll] that exports the
JNI_CreateJavaVM etc.

The idea is that you can have multiple VMs in deploy and choose which
you use at runtime.

Regards,
Tim

> All class library tests are run under J9 as default VM. I'd be not bad to
> start running these tests
>
> against DRLVM as well. Otherwise the tests for the JIRA issues mentioned in
> this thread
>
> will be useless if we put them on the class lib modules. Correct?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Vladimir.
>

>> Regards,
>> Mark.

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [vm-kernel][testing] Where to put VM-agnostic tests for kernel classes?

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.
On 7/7/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Gorr wrote:
> > On 7/7/06, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> offer

> number

> >> Yes.  I think tests that should pass on any VM's kernel classes should
> >> live in the classlib modules (luni-kernel or security-kernel).
> >

> > Agree. However we should have the possibility to run the class library
> > tests
> > against any VM.
>
> Yah, I was pondering the same question, and thinking that we should put
> spec and intergration-ish tests outside of classlib, maybe in the
> if-I-keep-wishing-it-will-happen /testing subcomponent, but I don't
> really care too strongly.
>

> > AFAIK we cannot provide this thing right now (java launcher requests the
> > clearvm library).
> >
> > All class library tests are run under J9 as default VM. I'd be not bad
> > start running these tests
> >
> > against DRLVM as well. Otherwise the tests for the JIRA issues mentioned
> in
> > this thread
>
> The tests don't care.  I've been playing with running things under DRLVM.

I have no doubts it was done.

> > will be useless if we put them on the class lib modules. Correct?
>
> I don't actually see why.

I thought we cannot run the class library tests under DRLVM. I mean *
automatically*.

Now I see there is such way (thanks Mark for coaching). Therefore moving the
VM-independent test

to the luni-kernel module is very useful thingJ.

Thanks,
Vladimir.

geir

Re: [vm-kernel][testing] Where to put VM-agnostic tests for kernel classes?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Vladimir Gorr <vv...@gmail.com>.