Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "ralph.goers @dslextreme.com" <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2011/08/22 20:17:42 UTC

Releasing components

I have copied the distribution artifacts to people.apache.org:/www/
www.apache.org/dist/commons/vfs and updated the README.html.
I have published the site to people.apache.org:/www/commons.apache.org/vfs.
I have told Nexus to release the component from staging.

Am I missing anything? Is there something that needs to be done to "publish"
these?

Ralph

Re: Releasing components

Posted by "ralph.goers @dslextreme.com" <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 August 2011 19:42, ralph.goers @dslextreme.com
>

> > I'm not a fan of deleting things until I'm sure I didn't screw it up.
> >  Unfortunately, neither of the two web pages I referenced are completely
> > clear on this part of things.
>
> WHich pages?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases is the closest thing I've
found to how to do a Maven-based release.
http://commons.apache.org/releases/release.html (and its companion pages)
are more about the manual process.

The first page documents the maven release plugin but pretty much ignores
the Nexus repository and doesn't really discuss where stuff is supposed to
end up.
The second page is useful in that it identifies the specific locations that
should be updated but it completely ignores the release plugin and the Nexus
repository.

FWIW, none of the documentation covers the problems introduced by having a
multi-module project.

Re: Releasing components

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
<ra...@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> I've left the 1.0 web site out there as vfs1 for the time being. I figured
> I'd delete it once I could verify the new site.

Ideally the new site should include links to 1.0 javadocs etc.

> The artifacts for 1.0 are still in the dist directory but I seem to recall
> only the most current artifacts are supposed to be in there and the older
> stuff should be archived somewhere.

That's only true for superceded releases, not different products as this is.

So a week or so after  2.0.1 is released, 2.0 can be deleted from dist/

At some point in the future if there is no further need for VFS 1.0
then it can be deleted.
Same with Lang and Math.

> I'm not a fan of deleting things until I'm sure I didn't screw it up.
>  Unfortunately, neither of the two web pages I referenced are completely
> clear on this part of things.

WHich pages?

Re: Releasing components

Posted by "ralph.goers @dslextreme.com" <ra...@dslextreme.com>.