Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Leslie Software <le...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/07 13:16:20 UTC

Derby plug-in for 10.1.3.1 - suggestion / contribution

I recently upgraded to 10.1.3.1 and was pleased to see an eclipse plug-in available.  Previously I had been rolling my own out of the regular install.  I am using Derby in an RCP application and therefore have a desire to have a feature too.  After my upgrade I switched to using your distributed plug-in and changed my home grown feature to reference it instead of my home grown plug-in.  The one short coming of the distributed plug-in is that it lacks branding which means the derby feature does not present a logo on my application's about box nor does it offer links to licensing etc.  So, I tweaked the distributed plug-in to add branding information.  I copied the notice files from the normal distribution created a .gif file (based on your recent branding efforts) and created a branded feature.  Now Derby takes its proper place in my application's about box.  I have attached a screen shot of my app's about box and the Derby feature's about box.

I would like to suggest the official distribution also contain these changes.  What would be the right way to contribute this?  I have Eclipse projects that create my versions of the plug-in and feature plus I have a deployed image too.

Thanks,

Ian

--
Ian Leslie - Shareware Author (mailto:lesliesoftware@yahoo.com)

Re: Re: Derby plug-in for 10.1.3.1 - suggestion / contribution

Posted by Leslie Software <le...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 7/7/06, home4slc@pacbell.net <ho...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I believe the most important part about this checklist is to complete an ICLA.
> Also, please file a JIRA to attach the patch to.
>
> 3) Have you filed a JIRA before?  I believe you need to get developer access to do so.
> If you don't have this access, post a message to the derby-dev mailing list to request
> this access.

Hi Ian,

You can file an issue without needing additional permissions. But to
edit issues after they are filed, you will need to be added to the
derby-developers group. You have two userids in JIRA, ianleslie and
lesliesoftware, if you do need developer access to edit a JIRA issue,
please let me know which id you would like granted access. Also, if
you would prefer that I remove one of the accounts, I can take care of
that as well.

thanks,
andrew

Re: Derby plug-in for 10.1.3.1 - suggestion / contribution

Posted by ho...@pacbell.net.
Hi Ian,

This is great! We certainly are interested in your contribution. I'm not 100% sure about
the process you need to go through to contribute this, but I'll outline what I think is
the correct way and other folks can jump in that have more experience with this;

1) Look at this section on the Derby web site:
http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html#Contribute+Code+or+Documentation

2) Read the DerbyContributorChecklist on the wiki:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyContributorChecklist

I believe the most important part about this checklist is to complete an ICLA.
Also, please file a JIRA to attach the patch to.

3) Have you filed a JIRA before?  I believe you need to get developer access to do so.
If you don't have this access, post a message to the derby-dev mailing list to request
this access.

As I said, others will hopefully jump in if I have missed something.

Regards,

Susan