Posted to doc@openoffice.apache.org by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net> on 2013/03/07 05:24:26 UTC

Use of Ricardo's Status page.

Evening All;

With the recent call for volunteers starting to attract new people it is
time that we start keeping closer tabs on what has been done on the User
Guides.

Ricardo put together a page a while back to help with this (thank you
Ricardo) and  think it is time we start making better use of it. I have
added most of what I have done so far to it and I see a few others have
also. If others can also fill in what the have done we will be further
along on understanding where we are and what needs to be done.

If this is not done, I see no other alternative then to have to redo
work that ma have already been done, thus slowing down the overall effort.

I thank you for taking the time to update the page with your work. The
page can be found here:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Status

Regards
Keith

Re: Response to follow-up e-mails Was Re: Use of Ricardo's Status page.

Posted by Guy Waterval <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Keith,
Hi all,

2013/5/9 Keith N. McKenna <ke...@comcast.net>

> Edwin Sharp wrote:
>
>> Volunteers need personal guidance from more experienced volunteers.
>>
>> It is easy to give up trying to figure out what to do on your own.
>>
>> Endless nested emails don't help.
>>
>> Volunteers should be given levels according to their time in the
>> project.
>>
>> So a level three is guiding level two, level two is guiding level
>> one etc.
>>
>> When a fresh volunteer joins, the head of the project is assigning
>> him a personal tutor.
>>
>> With a close guidance, learning, confidence and motivation are much
>> better.
>>

> Edwin;
>
> The ideas are very good. The question is one of manpower and knowledge.
> At the momnt we do not have active volunteers with knowledge in tech
> writing and publishing processes to do the tutoring and hand holding. If
> you have any ideas on how we can recruit people at that level we would
> love to hear them.

Amha, some people with the required skills are already present in the list.
But they are perhaps always active in their professional life and don't
have the available time to do the job. So, these people could perhaps be
more available for punctual tasks.
Why not try to find directly retired people who have been worked in this
area, retired journalists, etc. They could perhaps accept to coach and
organize le project on a more global manner, if they have more available
time.

Only a thought

A+
--
gw

Re: Response to follow-up e-mails Was Re: Use of Ricardo's Status page.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com>.

On Thu, May 9, 2013, at 18:11, Rob Weir wrote:

> We're talking about a corporate way of working, where someone assigns you
> items.

There is no other way.
A corporate has financial resources and abundance, we don't.
We can not afford two people doing the same task at the same time.
We can not afford an inexperienced volunteer wasting precious time on a task a more experienced volunteer will complete in no time.
We can not afford an important task ignored because it seems dull to the volunteers.

We must be as efficient as possible.

> I wonder if we just need to take the next step, and suggest
> specific items for new volunteers from that list?
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Yes please.
Some people feel uncomfortable doing things unannounced. I know I do.

Guidance and Feedback. That's what volunteers need.

RE: Response to follow-up e-mails Was Re: Use of Ricardo's Status page.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1

I think gentle mentoring will be very useful for newcomers, since there is considerable tacit lore that needs to be grasped before taking bigger steps.  This seems to apply for documentation as well as for working on the code, since there are toolcraft requirements as well as practices to become fluent with.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jane Agnew <ja...@ontera.net>.
Hi Keith

It seems my name and e-mail were erroneously linked
to the openoffice doc volunteers list. I am a biochemist
and artist. If I can help in these areas I am more than happy to do so.
Thank you
Jane Agnew

> [...]

> specification they can work from.   I could imagine that talking to
> experienced users could also be  helpful.
>
> In other words, if new volunteers do not have the product expertise
> that Ricardo has, then we need to suggest some ways that they can
> develop that.  Otherwise new volunteers will be limited, at least
> initially, to reviewing drafts.

Rob, right now I would be ecstatic if we had people doing that. If you
look at the status page You will see Ricardo's name as author, mine as
and one of two others as proofreading, and mine as doing a technical
review.

Right now I believe the documentation effort as a whole is suffering
from the lack of people who are knowledgeable in technical writing and
the processes and tasks that go along with that.

Let me go off and think a bit more about what else we can do to move the

05/08/13

Re: Response to follow-up e-mails Was Re: Use of Ricardo's Status page.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
<snip>

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Hans-Peter Carpenter
<th...@netscape.net> wrote:
> On 04/29/2013 08:00 PM, Edwin Sharp wrote:
>>
>> Volunteers need personal guidance from more experienced volunteers.
>>
>> It is easy to give up trying to figure out what to do on your own.
>>
>> Endless nested emails don't help.
>>
>> Volunteers should be given levels according to their time in the
>> project.
>>
>> So a level three is guiding level two, level two is guiding level one
>> etc.
>>
>> When a fresh volunteer joins, the head of the project is assigning him
>> a personal tutor.
>>
>> With a close guidance, learning, confidence and motivation are much
>> better.
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013, at 15:55, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know if anyone counted, but it seemed like we
>>> had 15 or more people volunteer to help. But of the offers of help,
>>> not many ultimately contributed.
>>> Why is this so?
>>> Regards,
>>> -Rob
>
> Hi all,
>
> Flame suit on.
>
> I have joined LibreOffice and OpenOffice at the same time, because I do not
> care about your politics/rivalry/whatever you wanna call it (if there is
> any) ... I also joined in on ODFAuthors.

There is absolutely no problem with contributing to more than one
project.   I know of Developers, QA, Forum support, etc., who happily
contribute to both AOO and LO.

> Now, I have already contributed to LibreOffice and ODF authors. As for
> OpenOffice, I have no visibility on issues. On the LibreOffice side, the
> list asks ppl for stuff, could you check this or that, read through this
> other thing ... that is the reason why I contributed there first.

It may depend on when you joined the mailing list.  We did have
several posts explaining how new contributors could get involved,
pointing to where on the wiki we're tracking tasks, etc.   But we
should probably repost that information periodically.

> I am a bit lost, mostly because I do not understand all the differences
> between LibreOffice, OpenOffice, ODFAuthors ... ok, I know LO is a fork of
> OOo and that OOo has now become AOOo ...

ODFAuthors was an independent group that wrote user guides for
OpenOffice.org.  But both LO and AOO now have their own documentation
efforts within the project.  So it is not clear (to me at least) what
role ODFAuthors plays today, after the LO fork, and after
OpenOffice.org became Apache OpenOffice.

> I have checked out (as in svn co http://....) AOO, I have no idea where the
> doc is, what I could contribute where ... I need a little help or at least
> pointers.

No need to touch SVN for working with documentation.  It is all on the wiki.

A good place to start is here:
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-doc.html

Then you can see the status of items, and grab some to work on here:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/UserGuide/Status

As you see, there are a variety of tasks, authoring, proof reading,
technical review, etc.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Hans-Peter Carpenter <th...@netscape.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com> wrote:
> Volunteers need personal guidance from more experienced volunteers.
>
> It is easy to give up trying to figure out what to do on your own.
>
> Endless nested emails don't help.
>
> Volunteers should be given levels according to their time in the
> project.
>
> So a level three is guiding level two, level two is guiding level one
> etc.
>
> When a fresh volunteer joins, the head of the project is assigning him
> a personal tutor.

I like this idea.

-Rob

Posted by Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.
Today there are 67 subscribers to the docs list.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

On 2013-04-09 I sent the following reminder to all individuals that had

Posted by Dave Barton <db...@tasit.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.
RGB ES wrote:
> 2013/3/19 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
>
>> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Keith N. McKenna
>> <ke...@comcast.net> wrote:

<snip>

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.