Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Marko Sarunac <ma...@sarunac.com> on 2001/11/01 21:07:24 UTC

Problem with Apache1.3 & Tomcat 4.0.1

Hello

Here is an intro to my system and description of the problem.
Any suggestions/tips are greatelly appreciated

I am running Apache 1.3 on Debian (Woody) and Tomcat 4.0.1 downloaded
separatelly from jakarta

I have installed and configure Tomcat standalone succesfully.
However please note that my application is moved from webapps to the
users home directory

server.xml
<Host name="mywebsite.com" debug="0" appBase="">
    directory="logs"  prefix="site_access_log." suffix=".txt"
    pattern="common"/>
    directory="logs"  prefix="site_log."
    suffix=".txt" timestamp="true"/>
<Context path="" docBase="/home/username/www/mywebsite.com.war"
debug="0" privileged="true"/>
</Host>

Note how the site is running from the war file (not extracted) and it
is NOT under webapps folder.

This all work fine until i get to

httpd.conf
<VirtualHost *>
ServerName mywebsite.com
DocumentRoot /home/username/www/mywebsite.com

DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html index.htm
ErrorLog /var/log/apache/mywebsite.com-error.log

WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy examples warpConnection /examples/  <- **************
</VirtualHost>

What i need to figure out is the WebAppDeploy line.
I notice that it by default points to the webapps folder under tomcat
how can i specify my war file in here?

Also,
Do i need to specify my <host> under <Service name="Tomcat-Apache"> as
well?

Eventually i will not be running anything on :8080

Once again, thanks in advance for all your help!!!!

--
Marko Sarunac
marko@sarunac.com

Re: Problem with Apache1.3 & Tomcat 4.0.1

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Steve Brunton at brunton@dweeb.turner.com wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>
>> Marko Sarunac at marko@sarunac.com wrote:
>>
>>> What i need to figure out is the WebAppDeploy line.
>>> I notice that it by default points to the webapps folder under tomcat
>>> how can i specify my war file in here?
>>
>> WebAppDeploy /home/username/www/mywebsite.com.war conn /
>
> Pulled the nightly from last night and got it to build on my Solaris
> x86 box and actually work with Apache. That's cool.

Doh! :) What do you think is my favorite platform after MacOS/X 10.1 ??? :)

> Now though my question is about the above WebAppDeploy. If just '/' is
> mapped does that mean all requests will pass through the mod_webapp
> connector? I'm trying to get it setup so that just a {host}/servlet will
> actually invoke the servlets. If I attempt something like :
>
> WebAppDeploy /www/foo/java/servlet conn /servlet
>
> where /www/foo is document-root and having to create a WEB-INF symlink
> to that directory from inside of it, in order to actually have the
> servlet fire the request is {host}/servlet/servlet/HelloWorld, which
> looks like kind of silly. So, just a "conn /" would probably work, but I
> don't need all the overhead of dealing with a module if it's not
> necessary for each request. And does the mod_webapp work with JSP's or
> is it back to the mod_jk world for that stuff?

Nope, right now all requests are forwarded to Tomcat if you deploy it as
your web-server "root", but there are going to be some changes in the future
about it (hopefully _near_ future), but I can't guarantee when that'll
happen.

    Pier

Re: Problem with Apache1.3 & Tomcat 4.0.1

Posted by Steve Brunton <br...@dweeb.turner.com>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> Marko Sarunac at marko@sarunac.com wrote:
>
> > What i need to figure out is the WebAppDeploy line.
> > I notice that it by default points to the webapps folder under tomcat
> > how can i specify my war file in here?
>
> WebAppDeploy /home/username/www/mywebsite.com.war conn /

  Pulled the nightly from last night and got it to build on my Solaris
x86 box and actually work with Apache. That's cool.
  Now though my question is about the above WebAppDeploy. If just '/' is
mapped does that mean all requests will pass through the mod_webapp
connector? I'm trying to get it setup so that just a {host}/servlet will
actually invoke the servlets. If I attempt something like :

WebAppDeploy /www/foo/java/servlet conn /servlet

where /www/foo is document-root and having to create a WEB-INF symlink
to that directory from inside of it, in order to actually have the
servlet fire the request is {host}/servlet/servlet/HelloWorld, which
looks like kind of silly. So, just a "conn /" would probably work, but I
don't need all the overhead of dealing with a module if it's not
necessary for each request. And does the mod_webapp work with JSP's or
is it back to the mod_jk world for that stuff?

--
Steve Brunton   <br...@dweeb.turner.com>  Phone: 404-827-2756
Chief Engineer Enterprise Systems    One CNN Center, Atlanta GA

Re: Problem with Apache1.3 & Tomcat 4.0.1

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Marko Sarunac at marko@sarunac.com wrote:

> What i need to figure out is the WebAppDeploy line.
> I notice that it by default points to the webapps folder under tomcat
> how can i specify my war file in here?

WebAppDeploy /home/username/www/mywebsite.com.war conn /

I know that there's a bug with the distribution coming with 4.0.1, so I
strongly recommend you to get one of the nightlies...

> Also,
> Do i need to specify my <host> under <Service name="Tomcat-Apache"> as
> well?

If you don't need extra parameters, no, you donĀ¹t... And I'd suggest you not
to add it since I'm planning to remove it from the WebApp distribution.
VirtualHosting should be a property of the connector, not of the container,
which should be web-application agnostic.

> Eventually i will not be running anything on :8080

That'll be cool :)

    Pier