Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/16 18:59:11 UTC

Re: OpenOffice.org Product Roadmap: made by whom ? was: Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module

My two centimes...

It sounds like what Martin is asking for is a mechanism whereby a
sponsoring corporation or collection of corporations can take the
corporate view and "throw money at the problem" to get things done.

It occurs to me that this doesn't have to exist within the framework
of the ASF.  Since anyone can be a contributor, said anyone could be
in the employ of an external nonprof, so a nonprof could accept money
for the purposes of hiring people to subscribe to ooo-dev and have at
it.

This seems like something that the ASF and PMC not only don't need to
do anything about, but in fact can't do anything about.

Don

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Donald Whytock wrote:
>
>> My two centimes...
>>
>> It sounds like what Martin is asking for is a mechanism whereby a
>> sponsoring corporation or collection of corporations can take the
>> corporate view and "throw money at the problem" to get things done.
>>
>> It occurs to me that this doesn't have to exist within the framework
>> of the ASF.  Since anyone can be a contributor, said anyone could be
>> in the employ of an external nonprof, so a nonprof could accept money
>> for the purposes of hiring people to subscribe to ooo-dev and have at
>> it.
>>
>> This seems like something that the ASF and PMC not only don't need to
>> do anything about, but in fact can't do anything about.
>
> It happens. Companies do get contracted to work on projects. Individuals also may be paid. If doing so then business interests need to be separated, you really shouldn't make your payment contingent on the project doing anything. That can become a community problem.
>
> Companies who are sponsoring such work for hire need to submit a CCLA. http://www.apache.org/licenses/

Largely agree with everything you said, with one subtle point in that
a CCLA may not be necessary depending on a number of factors including
whether that company claims to have a right to the intellectual
property.  Here's the actual text from the ICLA:

   If your employer(s) has rights to intellectual property
   that you create that includes your Contributions, you represent
   that you have received permission to make Contributions on behalf
   of that employer, that your employer has waived such rights for
   your Contributions to the Foundation, or that your employer has
   executed a separate Corporate CLA with the Foundation.

> Corporations / individuals can sponsor the ASF, but cannot direct those donations.
>
> Ross/Sam, do I have this stated correctly?
>
> Regards,
> Dave

- Sam Ruby

Re: OpenOffice.org Product Roadmap: made by whom ? was: Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 16 June 2011 18:24, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Donald Whytock wrote:
>
>> My two centimes...
>>
>> It sounds like what Martin is asking for is a mechanism whereby a
>> sponsoring corporation or collection of corporations can take the
>> corporate view and "throw money at the problem" to get things done.
>>
>> It occurs to me that this doesn't have to exist within the framework
>> of the ASF.  Since anyone can be a contributor, said anyone could be
>> in the employ of an external nonprof, so a nonprof could accept money
>> for the purposes of hiring people to subscribe to ooo-dev and have at
>> it.
>>
>> This seems like something that the ASF and PMC not only don't need to
>> do anything about, but in fact can't do anything about.
>
> It happens. Companies do get contracted to work on projects. Individuals also may be paid. If doing so then business interests need to be separated, you really shouldn't make your payment contingent on the project doing anything. That can become a community problem.
>
> Companies who are sponsoring such work for hire need to submit a CCLA. http://www.apache.org/licenses/
>
> Corporations / individuals can sponsor the ASF, but cannot direct those donations.
>
> Ross/Sam, do I have this stated correctly?

Sam has already commented elsewhere but since you ask for my opinion
too I'll just add that you arepretty much correct (with the slight
moification Sam made with respect to CCLAs which I only learned about
myself on a podling last month).

In summary: the ASF does not (and as far as I'm aware) will never pay
for development on any of its projects. Doing so confuses the role of
the ASF, it is not a development house it is a legal framework and
supporting infrastructure to enable developers to work
collaboratively. Anyone, within the community or outside of it, can
set up any legal entity they like to collect money and pay for it.
However, they will not be recognised as a contributor - the people it
pays will be the contributors.

As Eric pointed out educOOo is an example of this.

Ross

Re: OpenOffice.org Product Roadmap: made by whom ? was: Re: [discuss] remove of binfilter module

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My two centimes...
>
> It sounds like what Martin is asking for is a mechanism whereby a
> sponsoring corporation or collection of corporations can take the
> corporate view and "throw money at the problem" to get things done.
>
> It occurs to me that this doesn't have to exist within the framework
> of the ASF.  Since anyone can be a contributor, said anyone could be
> in the employ of an external nonprof, so a nonprof could accept money
> for the purposes of hiring people to subscribe to ooo-dev and have at
> it.
>
> This seems like something that the ASF and PMC not only don't need to
> do anything about, but in fact can't do anything about.

Largely agree, with one potential caveat, and that has to do with trademarks:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

Beyond the general terms expressed in the above page, any issues
should be worked on a case-by-case basis.

One further comment below...

> Don
>
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:51 PM, eric b <er...@free.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Le 16 juin 11 à 18:39, Martin Hollmichel a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Sam,

>>> yes, I have.
>>>
>>> First, I do not have any problems with the Apache style of decision
>>> making, lazy consensus sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I like that
>>> style. This fits perfectly to the "meritocracy" principle.

>>> I think this principle may get enhanced by enabling a non profit
>>> organization to have their own resources on a project (This might fit
>>> into the Apache philosophy considering this organization as an
>>> contributing institution).

The ASF does not have a concept of a contributing institution.  We
recognize individuals only, and those individuals retain their status
independent of their association with other institutions.