Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/11 17:15:48 UTC

No longer store the generated PDF/HTML in Roller SVN?

Hi Team, our documentation source
(http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk/weblogger-docs/) is in
Open/Libre Office (*.odt) format.  But we apparently do check in the
generated PDF and HTML that Open Office can export from an .ODT, for
example here for the Template guide:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/roller/trunk/weblogger-docs/templateguide/.

I'd like to alleviate the burden on the Roller team needing to generate
the PDF and HTML each time they alter the .ODT file.  The more
burdensome you make doc updates, the fewer doc updates people will have
time to make.  Basically, just store the .ODT file in trunk for the SVN
downloader to read in OpenOffice--and from there, generate to PDF/HTML
if he or she wishes.  Of course, this will require some version of Open
Office on their machine, but most developers of the type inclined to
check out Roller source already have that software or know how to
quickly obtain it.

At the point of creating a new release we can distribute the PDF and
HTML (as we do already for PDF:
http://www.apache.org/dist/roller/roller-5/v5.0.1/docs/), but there will
no longer be a need to have to generate and store these formats in SVN
each time we alter the documentation pre-release.  How does that sound?

Thanks,
Glen

Re: No longer store the generated PDF/HTML in Roller SVN?

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
+1

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
+1