Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Hamilton Link <he...@sandia.gov> on 2003/12/02 22:10:37 UTC

client version vs. server version

Well, I think svn is approaching the point that I am going to start
using it at work instead of cvs. I am concerned about having to play
the moving-target game with the client systems as I go from version to
version on the server, though.

If I have a svn server and a number of people running svn clients
scattered around, what determines when they have to upgrade their
client software? Do they need to upgrade every time the server is
upgraded, or do they only need to upgrade when some specific piece in
the new server version changes (and does this happen all the time,
sometimes, or only rarely)? I know the database needs to be dumped
before upgrading and reloaded afterwards if the database format changes
(and that such changes are loudly announced and probably won't be done
between the release of 1.0 and some substantially later version unless
some major upset happens, right?), but I can't think of ever having
heard about forced client upgrades.

thanks,
hamilton

Re: client version vs. server version

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 17:10, Hamilton Link wrote:
> If I have a svn server and a number of people running svn clients
> scattered around, what determines when they have to upgrade their
> client software?

Our pre-1.0 promise is that clients and servers can be one version apart
from each other.  Frequently, we are more generous than that; I think
the last incompatibility was that 0.32 breaks HTTP compatibility with
versions prior to 0.28, and this was noted prominently in the CHANGES
file for the 0.32 release.  At some point down the road, ra_svn will
break compatibility with versions prior to 0.33, and that will also be
featured prominently in the CHANGES file for that release.