Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by horschi <ho...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/23 14:15:18 UTC

Offline migration: Random->Murmur

Hi list,

has anyone ever tried to migrate a cluster from Random to Murmur?

We would like to do so, to have a more standardized setup. I wrote a small
(yet untested) utility, which should be able to read SSTable files from
disk and write them into a cassandra cluster using Hector. This migration
would be offline of course and would only work for smaller clusters.

Any thoughts on the topic?

kind regards,
Christian

PS: The reason for doing so are not "performance". It is to simplify
operational stuff for the years to come. :-)

Re: Offline migration: Random->Murmur

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>wrote:

>  I wrote a small (yet untested) utility, which should be able to read
> SSTable files from disk and write them into a cassandra cluster using
> Hector.
>
> Consider using the SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter (see
> http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/bulk-loading) to create the SSTables you
> can then bulk load them into the destination system.This will be much
> faster.

More details here :
http://www.palominodb.com/blog/2012/09/25/bulk-loading-options-cassandra

=Rob

Re: Offline migration: Random->Murmur

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
>  I wrote a small (yet untested) utility, which should be able to read SSTable files from disk and write them into a cassandra cluster using Hector.
Consider using the SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter (see http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/bulk-loading) to create the SSTables you can then bulk load them into the destination system.This will be much faster.

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
New Zealand