Posted to security-discuss@community.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2022/01/05 22:53:48 UTC

WH Pre-brief meeting notes

Hi folks,

What follows are my notes from the pre-brief meeting that occurred on
1/5/2022 at 11:00 AM Eastern. I am sure I missed bits, so please feel
free to correct my errors and omissions.

ASF Attendees: Mark Cox, Mark Thomas, Roy Fielding, Sam Ruby, David Nalley
WH Attendees: Anne Neuberger, Amit Mital, Mary Gingrich, Sezaneh Seymour

We started the call with a summary of the purpose of the upcoming
in-person meeting: Gathering together key software companies and
foundations to define a set of initiatives with the goal of improving
gaps in open source supply security. Anne voiced a perception that
in-person was core to having a good discussion, but did say that they
would add virtual options for attendees. She asked for suggestions to
go out to all attendees.

Anne indicated that she hadn't seen the pre-brief document that we sent along.

Anne asked that we start thinking about potential initiatives that
could be used to improve the situation.

Anne identified three potential initiatives that her side was thinking about:
1. Identifying the most critical open source artifacts
2. Building more accountable open source management. This item
particularly seemed to harp on the volunteer nature of our
communities, and emphasized the belief that they needed help.
3. Working on Software Bill of Materials (SBoM)

MarkC responded and called the volunteer problem a red herring and
cited our existing processes, and gates for ingesting, modifying, and
releasing code, as well our security processes. He noted the really
fast turnaround on the log4j vulnerability as an example of that.
MarkC also called out the fact that things are often fixed quickly by
the open source project, but slowly consumed by downstream users. He
cited example of Struts and Log4j, and particularly that many people
were asking for support for Log4j 1.x which had been deprecated 7
years ago.

David called out the fact that identifying the most critical open
source artifacts requires that you know what's being consumed, and
that short of people telling us (or someone) what they are consuming -
you have a chicken and egg situation where you want to identify the
most important pieces, but can't do that effectively without knowing
how broadly something is consumed.

Anne asked about the best way to solve that problem. She asked if SBOM
would help solve that problem.

MarkC said that SBOM may help us in the future, but won't help in the
short or medium term because of the very long tail of software that
exists.

Anne asked again how we would solve identifying critical pieces of
software infrastructure.

MarkC, tried to turn the conversation away from solving that problem
and pointed out that someone saying that something is critical doesn't
change the process.

Amit - asked if identifying isn't a case of the perfect being the
enemy of the good and we should just identify 100 or so packages and
improve their security. (SBOM, processes, etc)

MarkC responded that critical designation wouldn't change speed or
response or quality for our projects at the ASF.

David called out that the ecosystem and various groups  had done these
exercises before where we go fix the "top 50" and where that
materially improves the ecosystem, but with few exceptions it hasn't
helped on a broad scale.

MarkC cited his experience with OpenSSL and Heartbleed. He said that
even following all of that clamor, no one was paying attention to
log4j, and that it was on no one's list.

Roy said that we manage 350 products and that in consideration of the
ecosystem, that our impact is so large that we might have 200 of those
be considered critical. He said that because we didn't have any idea
of what was being consumed or how, and that some central registration
of use (SBOM registry?) to better understand that impact.

Anne seemed to latch on to Roy's idea.

David noted that as a vendor of software, we see folks who are not
keeping current with their dependencies. Doing all of the security
work fast and well doesn't matter if the industry doesn't have
mechanisms to ensure currency.

Anne asked us to bring ideas like these to the table.

We discussed the prebrief doc that's going out over the weekend. Our
submission (if any) is due by EoD Friday, EST.

Re: WH Pre-brief meeting notes

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On 8 Jan 2022, at 19:20, Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org> wrote:

> Indeed - good work.
>
> I do think it may be useful to put the word academia or public services in there; just to stress that our community is not just tech/IT - but also people from Universities or (in Europe at least) considerable numbers of people from the public sector who (got) volunteered (as part of their day job as a civil servant).

I take that back - just counting NASA and some federal GEO/fin agencies email addresses in our commuinity - same in the USA.

> This is mainly for strategic/defensive reasons - to avoid being lumped in with 'them tech with lots of money' and get painted on a 'side' of us.v.s them.
>
> So if we could work that back in near the top - that would be useful.

Dw

Re: WH Pre-brief meeting notes

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
Indeed - good work.

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
After testing this on a few very technical policy makers and asking them what they read perhaps also change:L

-	" those who use them" -> "companies that build these into their product"

-	"JNDI (a part of the Java runtime library)" -> JNDI (a part of the Java runtime; supplied its respective supplier; not part of Log4J)

Dw

Re: WH Pre-brief meeting notes

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Both sets of changes applied.  Thanks!

- Sam Ruby

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 11:47 AM Dirk-Willem van Gulik
<di...@webweaving.org> wrote:

> I would perhaps rephrase the section:
>
>         The Apache Software Foundation is an example of an open source organization.  Companies and invited experts collaborate there to produce releases of software components and products.  Along the way, those companies and individuals contribute their intellectual property to make this happen.
>
> into:
>
>         The Apache Software Foundation is an example of an open source organization. Self managed groups of experts (e.g. academics, people seconded by their company or otherwise voluntary) collaborate there to produce releases of software components and products.  In this way; the industry as a whole; i.e. companies, academia, the public sector and individuals contribute their intellectual property to make this happen.
>
> Or something along these lines. And possibly add:
>
>         The open source organisation facilitates and defines this process. By means of the open source license, the governance and ability of these experts to self manage and by means of providing things such a a cross group release policy, distribution policy and security coordination function.
>
> And I would consider in the key-take-aways to somehow explain that Community == wider industry/public-sector/academia.
> With kind regards,
>
> Dw

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.

Posted by Mark J Cox <mj...@apache.org>.
Since the pre-meeting we've been updating the Position Paper (so if you've

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 6:30 PM Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/Position+Paper

The plan is to send this to the WH at 5PM Eastern (just under two
hours from now).

- Sam Ruby

Re: WH Pre-brief meeting notes

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.