Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rajesh Jain <rj...@ptc.com> on 2000/02/23 13:38:02 UTC

Open Source Application Server

I am a new convert to tomcat, I have recently downloaded tomcat and
installed it on my Apache Web Server.

As I have understood tomcat, its a servlet container technology (jswdk) like Apache Jserv
with JSP support.

I have been looking for the right Application Server for my web site.

Will tomcat be the answer for the application server or can
a Open Application server like Enhydra exist along with tomcat ??

I have been evaluating so many different technologies in the last couple of
days , namely: BEA Weblogic, Enhydra with XMLC, Tomcat /JSP , Apache JServ /Cocoon.

I am confused as to what is the right strategy. Do these technologies overlap
and what is the best one for Open Source architecture.

Thanx for the responses.

Rajesh

Re: Open Source Application Server

Posted by "David H. Young" <da...@lutris.com>.
Hi Rajesh,
Sorry for the late response, just found your mail...
Re: "Will tomcat be the answer for the application server or can
a Open Application server like Enhydra exist along with tomcat ??"

Enhydra 3.0 now incorporates Tomcat.  Xerces is used for
Enhydra XMLC (for compiling XML documents (HTML, WML, etc.)
into a Java DOM class.  This will all carry over into the
open source J2EE Enhydra (early release due April).  More info
at www.enhydra.org.  Since Enhydra is very much based on these
and other open standards.  J2EE compliance will continue that
(committed) trend.

Hope that helps,
David

Rajesh Jain wrote:

> I am a new convert to tomcat, I have recently downloaded tomcat and
> installed it on my Apache Web Server.
>
> As I have understood tomcat, its a servlet container technology (jswdk) like Apache Jserv
> with JSP support.
>
> I have been looking for the right Application Server for my web site.
>
> Will tomcat be the answer for the application server or can
> a Open Application server like Enhydra exist along with tomcat ??
>
> I have been evaluating so many different technologies in the last couple of
> days , namely: BEA Weblogic, Enhydra with XMLC, Tomcat /JSP , Apache JServ /Cocoon.
>
> I am confused as to what is the right strategy. Do these technologies overlap
> and what is the best one for Open Source architecture.
>
> Thanx for the responses.
>
> Rajesh

David H. Young
Chief Evangelist