Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Julian Padget <ja...@iiia.csic.es> on 2000/10/16 17:36:53 UTC

future developments

According to the README, "This Xalan build is 1.1D01".

I'm using XSLT to define abstract machine transition rules.
Regardless of the pros and cons of that, this message is just to ask
whether the development plans for Xalan might include:

a) the provision of node-set (like xt), which I guess shouldn't be
   especially difficult

b) making the interpreter tail recursive - because for my application,
   the abstract machines could take arbitrarily many cycles, leading
   to much (unnecessary) pushing of stack frames in the interpreter
   and, more importantly, in Java - which could imply a pretty major
   re-working, although it may be possible to use the trampoline
   technique without a vast amount of change.

I'm not proposing these as items for your to-do list: it's just for me
to know where you are going, so I can decide which software I should
be using.  Thanks.

--Julian Padget.
Currently on leave from the University of Bath, UK at:
     _________
    _/ _/ _/ _|   IIIA - Institut d'Investigacio en Intel.ligencia Artificial
   _/ _/ _/  _|   CSIC - Spanish Scientific Research Council
  _/ _/ _/   _|   Campus Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
 _/ _/ _/_____|   08193 Cerdanyola, Catalonia, Spain
_/ _/ _/     _|   Ph.: +34 93 5809570         Fax.: +34 93 5809661
                  jap@iiia.csic.es       http://www.iiia.csic.es
                  jap@maths.bath.ac.uk   http://www.maths.bath.ac.uk/~jap