Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2001/10/02 17:22:31 UTC

sub-proejcts' API documentation layout

I've committed the first few documents for the API documentation. Since
nobody has followed up on my post from a few weeks ago. Here is what
I've done:

- The API docs will reside in their own .pod files
- Each sub-project will have its own directory under docs/src/api

Here is an example:

docs/src/api:
   mod_perl-2.0/APR/Table.pod
   mod_perl-2.0/Apache/RequestRec.pod
   mod_perl-2.0/Apache/compat.pod
   Apache-Test/Apache/Test.pod
   Apache-Registry/Apache/Registry.pod

Keeping all the docs under the same directory makes it easy to
distribute only the documentation, especially simplify the build, since
they all live in a separate modperl-docs project.

So modperl-2.0's API goes into docs/src/api/mod_perl-2.0, Apache-Test's
into docs/src/api/Apache-Test and etc.

If later on we want to move directories around, this is very easy to do
without losing cvs history.

That's said, when you send in new patches, from now on please don't
forget to send documentation patches. It's much easier and nicer to
document as we go, then doing this at then end.

I hope this post clarifies where to place the new documentation bits,
even if the .pod file doesn't exist yet. I'll also put a README into
docs/src/api, explaining this.

Thanks!