Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by cretzel <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/04 16:27:54 UTC

Multi-tenancy with style

We're building a multi-tenant capable application. The basic idea is to
identify the tenant for a request and put the tenant information into a
ThreadLocal.

One requirement is to enable 'localization' per tenant, i.e. to allow
tenant-specific labels, like for example one tenant wants to display the
term 'client' instead of 'customer'. The first thing that comes to my mind
is using tenant-specific styles, i.e. to read the properties from files like
labels_tenant1.properties and labels_tenant2.properties.

Any arguments against that? Is there any other multi-tenancy support in
Wicket?

Re: Multi-tenancy with style

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:27 AM, cretzel <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We're building a multi-tenant capable application. The basic idea is to
>> identify the tenant for a request and put the tenant information into a
>> ThreadLocal.
>>
>> One requirement is to enable 'localization' per tenant, i.e. to allow
>> tenant-specific labels, like for example one tenant wants to display the
>> term 'client' instead of 'customer'. The first thing that comes to my mind
>> is using tenant-specific styles, i.e. to read the properties from files like
>> labels_tenant1.properties and labels_tenant2.properties.
>
> that is what style and variation are for.
>

>> Any arguments against that? Is there any other multi-tenancy support in
>> Wicket?
>
> see above.

Yes. Though, using that limits you to having to have all the flavors
in your builds. Alternatively (more work, but more flexible), you can
pretty much do anything in Wicket dynamically, so you could e.g. load
a different style sheet or even panels based on the particular user.
If you have limited flavors, style and variation are the most elegant.

Eelco

Re: Multi-tenancy with style

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:27 AM, cretzel <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We're building a multi-tenant capable application. The basic idea is to
> identify the tenant for a request and put the tenant information into a
> ThreadLocal.
>
> One requirement is to enable 'localization' per tenant, i.e. to allow
> tenant-specific labels, like for example one tenant wants to display the
> term 'client' instead of 'customer'. The first thing that comes to my mind
> is using tenant-specific styles, i.e. to read the properties from files like
> labels_tenant1.properties and labels_tenant2.properties.

that is what style and variation are for.

> Any arguments against that? Is there any other multi-tenancy support in
> Wicket?

see above.

-igor