Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tracee <tr...@yahoo.ca> on 2006/04/20 01:16:09 UTC

Re: X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain header

Good questions.  Not being the one who configures SpamAssassin, I thought it might be configured to know it's own domain name.

If the header "indicates the original domain *to which the message was sent*" then I guess I was misinterpretting the meaning.

Thanks for the input.

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Tracee wrote:
> Good questions.  Not being the one who configures SpamAssassin, I
> thought it might be configured to know it's own domain name.

You could write a rule on a site-by-site basis, or perhaps introduce a
configuration option.  Even then, it wouldn't work quite right for sites
that receive mail for multiple domains.

> If the header "indicates the original domain *to which the message was
> sent*" then I guess I was misinterpretting the meaning.

I did some digging, and all the examples I can find use a set of 5
headers.  Here's an example of the headers in a message sent to the
Fedora legacy mailing list last week:

Some things to note:

1. The first header is usually all one line.  In this case, it was wrapped.

2. The Primary Hostname seems to be the HELO string of the MTA that
added the header.

Domain header.

4. The Caller UID/GID (the second pair) was almost always 47 and 12.  On
my Red Hat-based Linux systems, these are the user ID for mailnull and
group ID for mail.  A sizable minority were 26 and 6 -- all running Evim
on FreeBSD, so I assume those are the defaults there.  It's remarkably
consistent, but the exceptions were all legit, so there's not much spam
classification value in this one.

5. The Sender Address Domain was, as you might expect, the domain of the
sender's email address.  However, a lot of the ones I've seen match the
server name

Thoughts on what you could do with this info for detecting abuse, rather
than for reporting it:

1. Does the Primary Hostname show up in the Received: headers?
2. Does the Primary Hostname claim to be one of your servers?  (sort of
a forged-HELO check a couple of hops back)
3. If the Sender Address Domain has an SPF record, does the Primary
Hostname pass?
4. Does the Sender Address Domain claim to be one of your domains? (what
you originally suggested, but with the more appropriate header)

I have no idea how effective any of these would be, though if I were to
guess, there would be a lot of overlap with other header checks.

--
Kelson Vibber