Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Atristain, Bobbie J." <ba...@mediageneral.com> on 2003/01/02 17:27:54 UTC

[users@httpd] problem with "unable to open logs"

Greetings,
We recently upgraded from HP Apache 1.3 to HP Apache 2.4.3 on a HP-UX
11i box.  We are an ISP and run multiple virtual hosts on a single IP.
After we first installed the server it started up fine - but after I
added each V-host container - it stopped working.  I have gone through
the log files and directorys one by one 4 times.  Please note that it
has worked at least once since all of the V-hosts were added but on
Chrismas eve - it stopped and it hasn't worked since.  I even set the
loglevel to debug so maybe i could get a better error message but it has
actually stopped logging anything.....the error message i get when i try
to start the webserver is the following....

"Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80
Unable to open logs"

I can't figure out what is going on - we have another server with the
same configuration that is working - but this one will not.  I have gone
through the log files to make sure the permissions match the user that
runs apache and everything is set to work - but it's not....

I also tried chaning the port to something else just in case there was
something else going on with Port 80 but I get the same error message.

I should also note that the box has been rebooted 2 times and apache
still will not start.

Any insight you can give me would be greatly appreciate it

Happy New Year,
Bobbie

Bobbie Atristain
Internet Systems Administrator

Re: [users@httpd] problem with "unable to open logs"

Posted by Aaron Sturm <aa...@hotmail.com>.
MessageBobbie,

Sounds like a permission issue. I know that HPUX won't let non-root users bind to port 80 (or other well-known ports).

In your httpd.conf file change the user and group to the user you want apache to run as. In my case it's this:
User apache
Group other
yours will probably vary.

Second, make sure all of the directories are writable by the "user" (apache). An easy way to do that is chown -R the apache directory.

Then, as root, start apache. It'll automatically su over to the user specifed in the httpd.conf file and initate the process.

Hope that helps.

-Aaron