Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2008/04/20 21:28:49 UTC

Website layout

Hi Lenya devs,

here's another suggestion for the website layout (tested only on Firefox
and Safari yet):

http://lenya.zones.apache.org/docu-preview-2/

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Website layout

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier schrieb:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>> here's another suggestion for the website layout (tested only on Firefox
>> and Safari yet):
>>
>> http://lenya.zones.apache.org/docu-preview-2/
>
> neat. i don't like fixed-width sites, though. i paid dearly for my
> screen and want to use it fully :)

The current layout has a flexible width with 100px margin at each side
(but maybe a percentage would be better?). There's a problem with narrow
browser windows, though (wide images flow out of the right margin ...)

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Website layout

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Juergen Ragaller wrote:

> Am 21.04.2008 um 20:25 schrieb Jörn Nettingsmeier:
>>
>> neat. i don't like fixed-width sites, though. i paid dearly for my
>> screen and want to use it fully :)
>
> Shure - but on a really wide screen, can you still read the text
> comfortably?

that is why god created window managers :) so that i can have my browser
open and a mail reader next to it. that way, i can adjust the window
width to something that suits me.

i agree that two-hundred-something characters per line generally don't
make much sense :)

> Imagine reading the «die Zeit» while taking a bath... You might even
> loose sight of that yellow duck...

the trick with reading the "zeit" is to rip out economics, classifieds
and sports before starting - the rest is handled quite easily :-D

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.

Re: Website layout

Posted by Juergen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Am 21.04.2008 um 20:25 schrieb Jörn Nettingsmeier:

> neat. i don't like fixed-width sites, though. i paid dearly for my
> screen and want to use it fully :)

Shure - but on a really wide screen, can you still read the text
comfortably?
Imagine reading the «die Zeit» while taking a bath... You might even
loose sight of that yellow duck...

Text, I think, can be pretty unreadable when it gets either too narrow
or too wide.

I have a tendency to layout fixed width - more typo control; but in
the end both do work (with a little cooparation of the user not fully
using the screen real estate) - the image overlapping might be fixable
with a min-width?

Jürgen

Re: Website layout

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> here's another suggestion for the website layout (tested only on Firefox
> and Safari yet):
>
> http://lenya.zones.apache.org/docu-preview-2/

neat. i don't like fixed-width sites, though. i paid dearly for my
screen and want to use it fully :)

other than that, very slick!

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

  - Ken Thompson.

Re: Website layout

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Am 13.05.2008 um 10:59 schrieb Jürgen Ragaller:

> Hi Andreas
>

> Am 13.05.2008 um 10:30 schrieb Andreas Hartmann:
>
>> Thomas Comiotto schrieb:
>>> Hi Jürgen

>>> Nice!
>>> The links stick out a too much in my view.
>>
>> IMO we should use the standard link colors.
>>
>> http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990502.html (mistake #8)
>> http://www.bohmann.dk/articles/against_non_standard_link_colors.html
>

> I'd use a darker color for links (and underline them)
> and a lighter color (or grey)for visited links (and underline them)
> Such a styling would still follow good usability / accessibility
> practice, as links / visited links are still clearly distinguishable
> from other text with / without colour vision (underline / contrast).
>
> I agree, the blue / violett standard supports the user somewhat more,
> but I find the standard link colours often problematic when it comes
> to design.

Found this little article about links

http://www.designbyfire.com/deye_web/alertbox.htm

Jürgen

null-oder-eins GmbH Zürich
web & graphic design

www.null-oder-eins.ch

ragaller@apache.org
Skype: callto://ragaller

Re: Website layout

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Andreas

Re: Website layout

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Website layout

Posted by Thomas Comiotto <th...@id.uzh.ch>.
Hi Jürgen

> I gave the colouring a try - got carried away a bit...

Nice!

The links stick out a too much in my view. I'd change to something like

a {
     text-decoration: none;
     color:#333399;
}

a:hover {
     text-decoration: underline;
     background-color:#E9E9F0;
}

Thomas

-----

Re: Website layout

Posted by Juergen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi lenya devs!

Am 21.04.2008 um 06:18 schrieb Andreas Hartmann:

[...]

>  [...] Maybe someone else could take care of selecting the colors.

[...]

Re: Website layout

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Juergen Ragaller schrieb:
> Hi Andreas
>

> Am 20.04.2008 um 21:28 schrieb Andreas Hartmann:
>
>> Hi Lenya devs,
>>
>> here's another suggestion for the website layout (tested only on
>> Firefox and Safari yet):
>>
>> http://lenya.zones.apache.org/docu-preview-2/
>
> This is great - I like the new layout.
>

> A few feedbacks - just my personal taste.
>
> A spontaneous action I just did (although I should have known better)
> was to click on "cross media publishing".

Yes, me too :)
I know this is a problem.

> The Byline (a nice one - that points out lenyas strengths in the
> shortest possible way...) looked to me like a top navigation - possibly
> it's because I often layout like that myself (splitting top / sub
> navigations). Maybe it would help to less separate the byline from the
> logo?

Good idea. Another option might be to use bullets instead of pipes as
separators.

> The TOC on the right side is very handy - enhances the usability and
> optics. And the header / text moves starts right on top :-)
>

> Colours:
>
> A bit hard to tell what they really look like (my notebooks colours
> depend a bit on the angle I'm looking at the screen - grrr.).

The header is a kind of green-blue. I'm a bit color-blind, so I rather
work with the numbers than with my eyes. Maybe someone else could take
care of selecting the colors.

> In general I prefer the blue tones over the light green ones
>
> - navigation bgr could be a light blue-grey (e.g. #EFF6FF)  (the one
> triggered by #main) and TOC background something similar
>   (or even a light grey (e.g. #EEEEEE)
> - The link colours to my taste drop out of the colour scheme (unstyled)
> - could be a darker blue variant for a:link and a even darker for a:visited

If possible, I'd suggest to adhere to the web standard colours here.

> Layout in general:
>
> I like the centered layout and the fine shadow.
>
> I was wondering, if a fixed width (of  ca 1000px) could make sense - it
> would give us more control over text flow - and might in some aspects be
> easier to handle too. WDYT?

I also thought about this, but it hurts a bit because all usability
books I know say that a fixed with should be avoided whenever possible.
OTOH, it really helps re. the images. What do the others think?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Website layout

Posted by Juergen Ragaller <ra...@null-oder-eins.ch>.
Hi Andreas

Am 20.04.2008 um 21:28 schrieb Andreas Hartmann:

> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> here's another suggestion for the website layout (tested only on
> Firefox and Safari yet):
>
> http://lenya.zones.apache.org/docu-preview-2/

This is great - I like the new layout.

A few feedbacks - just my personal taste.

A spontaneous action I just did (although I should have known better)
was to click on "cross media publishing".
The Byline (a nice one - that points out lenyas strengths in the
shortest possible way...) looked to me like a top navigation -
possibly it's because I often layout like that myself (splitting top /
sub navigations). Maybe it would help to less separate the byline from
the logo?

The TOC on the right side is very handy - enhances the usability and
optics. And the header / text moves starts right on top :-)

Colours:

A bit hard to tell what they really look like (my notebooks colours
depend a bit on the angle I'm looking at the screen - grrr.).

In general I prefer the blue tones over the light green ones

- navigation bgr could be a light blue-grey (e.g. #EFF6FF)  (the one
triggered by #main) and TOC background something similar
   (or even a light grey (e.g. #EEEEEE)
- The link colours to my taste drop out of the colour scheme
(unstyled) - could be a darker blue variant for a:link and a even
darker for a:visited

Layout in general:

I like the centered layout and the fine shadow.

I was wondering, if a fixed width (of  ca 1000px) could make sense -
it would give us more control over text flow - and might in some
aspects be easier to handle too. WDYT?

Thanks!

Jürgen

Re: Website layout

Posted by Markus Angst <ma...@inventec.ch>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Markus Angst schrieb:
>>
>>> here's another suggestion for the website layout (tested only on Firefox
>>> and Safari yet):
>>>
>>> http://lenya.zones.apache.org/docu-preview-2/
>> Looks nice. I agree with Jürgen that the colors could be optimized a little :-)
>
> Yes, I also think so, but I can't find any better ones :)
> Do you want to give it a try?

Yes, but not before the end of next week. Unfortunately i have a huge time
problem atm.

I tried to have a look at Jürgens suggestions by editing the CSS in the browser
but somehow this is more difficult than i thought.

Markus Angst

Re: Website layout

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Markus Angst schrieb:
> Hi Andreas,
>
>> here's another suggestion for the website layout (tested only on Firefox
>> and Safari yet):
>>
>> http://lenya.zones.apache.org/docu-preview-2/
>
> Looks nice. I agree with Jürgen that the colors could be optimized a little :-)

Yes, I also think so, but I can't find any better ones :)
Do you want to give it a try? I could check in the new layout (if it is
better than the current one), or I could make it available for download
somewhere.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: Website layout

Posted by Markus Angst <ma...@inventec.ch>.
Hi Andreas,

> here's another suggestion for the website layout (tested only on Firefox
> and Safari yet):
>
> http://lenya.zones.apache.org/docu-preview-2/

Looks nice. I agree with Jürgen that the colors could be optimized a little :-)

Web safe colors are outdated, I don't think that they have to be followed
nowadays (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors#Web-safe_colors).

Regards
Markus Angst